HEI Conversion for 302 Ford

Started by OFOF, March 20, 2005, 08:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OFOF

OK, I have a brand new HEI distributor for the 302 in my '47 Sedan.  I am currently running a points distributor with separate coil and ballast resistor.  The HEI has a two wire plug that I'm sure will accept some sort of new plug with the +/- wires from the old coil connected.  I'm quite sure that I need to delete the ballast.  Can anyone give me some simple (remember this is me) wiring help for this conversion?

Don.
Don Palfreyman

enjenjo

Is this a GM type HEI, or a Ford Duraspark? If it's a Duraspark, the two wires should be red and White. Where they go depends on  the color of the strain relief on the ignition box.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "OFOF"OK, I have a brand new HEI distributor for the 302 in my '47 Sedan.  I am currently running a points distributor with separate coil and ballast resistor.  The HEI has a two wire plug that I'm sure will accept some sort of new plug with the +/- wires from the old coil connected.  I'm quite sure that I need to delete the ballast.  Can anyone give me some simple (remember this is me) wiring help for this conversion?

Don.

On my wifes 289 mustang I got a 79 I think Fremont distrubutor and ran it to a GM module and that to a Bosh coil .2 ohm work great has the small dist cap put the module on an aluminum plate with heat sink compound work great.  new dist from kragen 37$ and hei mocule and coil on ebay from a porshe 25$. Could hide the module and it would look stock. Ed ke6bnl  I can get the wiring for you more details if intrested Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Okiedokie

I should receive the one I ordered today, I am assuming one will be hot, one ground. No instructions with yours? Joe

OFOF

Nope, no instructions.  I bought it on ebay from the Big B Auto site.  I received the distributor only in a box.  Everything looks fine but I need to install it in the 1970 302 in my 47 Ford.  I have added way too much stuff from the ebay site (sorry) I know only a small part of the info is applicable to my problem.  Is this of any help?
Don  

SMALL BLOCK FORD HEI DISTRIBUTOR H.E.I. 50K COIL NEW!!! Item number: 7958766085
Don Palfreyman

Okiedokie

When I get home my box should be at the door if the guy in brown did his job. I bought mine from a different Ebay seller. Streetrodparts4u. Hopefully there will be some instructions, if not I will come up with the answer. My pertronix conversion in my other 302 motor has 2 wires. One hot, one ground. I would think this to be the same. I like your Tudor Don, my 302 is in a 46 Bus. Cpe. Not as traditional as yours, but along the same lines. Joe

beatnik

You just need to run the positive wire from the coil to the positive side on the distibutor. It should be labeled on top of the distributer, one is labeled BATT and the other is TACH, for a tach hook up.

Remove the ballast resistor if you running one now.

It's just your standard GM HEI distibutor for use in ford.
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

enjenjo

What he said. You need just one wire to run it, from the ignition switch to the ign. terminal on the cap. the second wire will run the tach. No resistor is needed, and you should use a minimum of 14 ga. wire to the ign. terminal
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OFOF

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'll stab it in and wire it up and see what happens.  I was going to go with a pertronix II conversion but the new dizzy was cheaper than the kit and everything is new.

Thanks again, Don.
Don Palfreyman

Okiedokie

Well Don, did the "dizzy" fit. I received mine yesterday. I am curious if it is going to clear my Weiand manifold. What about yours? Clearance no problem? I wish I hadn't tossed that spare distributor I had, I could better determine fit. Joe

OFOF

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Well Don, did the "dizzy" fit. I received mine yesterday. I am curious if it is going to clear my Weiand manifold. What about yours? Clearance no problem? I wish I hadn't tossed that spare distributor I had, I could better determine fit. Joe

I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  It is about 2" bigger in diameter so I may have a problem with clearance with my 14" air cleaner and my heater water outlet on the intake.  I haven't checked for clearance on the intake itself.  I'm running an older Holley Street Dominator.
Don Palfreyman

Okiedokie

Well Don, any report on the HEI? I have had some interuptions this past week and have had no time for " car fun". So, I have not even attempted an install on mine. Joe

OFOF

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Well Don, any report on the HEI? I have had some interuptions this past week and have had no time for " car fun". So, I have not even attempted an install on mine. Joe

I have a better excuse Joe.  Linda and I joined Mickey the Lurker and his wife Terry for a 1600+ mile round trip cruise to Del Mar (near San Diego) for a Goodguys event.  The new distributor stayed in the shop while we were gone.  I started to have some electrical problems on the way home and I know I need to replace the ignition switch for sure.  I hope the new distributor solves the miss I experienced during the last 400 miles.

Don.
Don Palfreyman

Okiedokie

Nice trip, great excuse. I still have not attempted install on mine. I am finishing up a 53 F100, and have an oil leak at the pan. So I have pulled the motor from it. Volare susp., Ford 302, no way to do in truck. OKC mini nats are the weekend after this, so it may have to wait 'till after that. Joe

OFOF

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"Nice trip, great excuse. I still have not attempted install on mine. I am finishing up a 53 F100, and have an oil leak at the pan. So I have pulled the motor from it. Volare susp., Ford 302, no way to do in truck. OKC mini nats are the weekend after this, so it may have to wait 'till after that. Joe

Ok Joe, you're now behind.  I pulled the resistor out ot the circuit, changed the connection on the wire that used to go to the positive side of the coil, took the coil out, cut off the neg pole wires that used to go to the coil, pulled out the old distributor, plugged in the new one, set the wires from the plugs on top of the HEI posts, turned the key and, wow!!! it fired right up.  I am on my way to get some wires designed for the HEI cap, and new spark plugs.  I am planning to gap the plugs at .045 based on the specs for an HEI Chevy.  Anyone see anything wrong with that?
Thanks for all the help.  The conversion was a lot more simple than I expected.  Don.
Don Palfreyman