Anyone know how to lower a Tundra?

Started by OFOF, February 27, 2004, 06:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OFOF

I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra two wheel drive that I want to lower.  I have contacted most of the suspension providers and some folks at Toyota TRD but no one can tell me how to do it for less than a complete re-engineering of the front suspension.  The rear has leaf springs so I'm not worried about that but there seems to be a problem with the design of the front suspension.  Anyone have any ideas?
Don
Don Palfreyman

OFOF

It's some kind of a double wishbone type suspension.  I asked all of the folks at the suspension folks at the SEMA show and no one had anything to help me.  In fact, most of them said that they did not intend to bring out anything due to the complexity (?) of the suspension.  Maybe I'll just have to drive it at altitude.  It is a nice truck.
Don.
Don Palfreyman

Dolly

I'd reckon a motorised mower, perhaps a ride on with a very wide blade might be the best choice.   :wink:

Seriously, I'm not familliar with the suspension system, but figure it's likely a derivative of the LandCruiser torsion bar set-up.  The geometry is kinda unique in that it uses a very high upper ball joint and reduce camber change thru the long vertical travel.

The torsion bar has some adjustment, but probably not as much as you'd like.

Don, I'll see what Carps can find out using his contacts and have him get back to you.  I'm sure there's a way, since the lowered sports truck has already been done as a factory 'special'.  Of course it could be that this truck has some very unique (translates to 'expensive') components in it.
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

41ChevyTrucker

Quote from: "OFOF"I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra two wheel drive that I want to lower.  I have contacted most of the suspension providers and some folks at Toyota TRD but no one can tell me how to do it for less than a complete re-engineering of the front suspension.  The rear has leaf springs so I'm not worried about that but there seems to be a problem with the design of the front suspension.  Anyone have any ideas?
Don

if it like the 90 Toyota p/u I had in High School it has torsion bars and the adjusters are on the frame about middle of the door. I used to lower mine and raise it that way all the time. My Dad would go out of town on a trip and I would drive down to the gas station my friend worked at and we would throw it up on the lift and break out the air socket and drop that sucker until we couldn't get it off the lift without someone pulling up on the front bumper! Torsion in the front and blocks in the back. When Dad was about a day out I had to raise it back up. Lowering it and raising it like that worked for looks only, after a few years the front end was all out of whack. The other problem I ran in to with lowering the back that much was the driveline would rub on the crossmember if someone sat in the back. not sure if that will help you much but it sure was fun remembering it.
:lol:
cheers

Carps

Similar but different as best I can figure, I've got some info coming from the engineering team that might help figure out how to do it and still keep the tyres on the front wheels.  I'll forward it on when I can.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

OFOF

Don Palfreyman

river1

well don i followed a tundra the other day that was LOWERED. it wasn't slammed but lowered a nice amount. so maybe you should look again and see if you can find a lowering kit for your tundra. if i see it again i'll try to get some info for you.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

DRD57

Quote from: "OFOF"I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra two wheel drive that I want to lower.  I have contacted most of the suspension providers and some folks at Toyota TRD but no one can tell me how to do it for less than a complete re-engineering of the front suspension.  The rear has leaf springs so I'm not worried about that but there seems to be a problem with the design of the front suspension.  Anyone have any ideas?
Don

Courtney Hallowell (OGNC on the HAMB) is an editor for Sprot Truck Magazine. I know he has extensively modified several new trucks to get them low. He may have some suggestions.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have read that parts to raise or lower the Tundra & Nissan Titan  are not offered by most suspension companies.

mayb it is a wait and see what the market does?  

I have looked at the Tundra & Titan .  I was not inpressed by the size of the suspension, differentials and frames under them.

I am looking forward to the release of the 2006 Trailblazer SS this fall.  Powered by a 6.0 liter small block.

Tony needs a new ride
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Quote from: "Crosley"mayb it is a wait and see what the market does?  
More likely coz the guys who want to do that are not the same people who would be buying Toyota or Nissan.

QuoteI have looked at the Tundra & Titan .  I was not inpressed by the size of the suspension, differentials and frames under them.
Dunno about the Nissan but I do know the stuff under the Tojo is not only bulletproof, it's well proven across the world in some of the harshest environments imaginable.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Crosley.In.AZ

I would have to disagree , sorta.  

The frame under the Tundra is not near the strength of an F-150.  I am sure the frame gets the job done under the Tundra

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Crosley"mayb it is a wait and see what the market does?  
More likely coz the guys who want to do that are not the same people who would be buying Toyota or Nissan.

QuoteI have looked at the Tundra & Titan .  I was not inpressed by the size of the suspension, differentials and frames under them.
Dunno about the Nissan but I do know the stuff under the Tojo is not only bulletproof, it's well proven across the world in some of the harshest environments imaginable.
Tony

47convert

Here's how I'd do it: Dig a big hole, shove the truck in, fill the hole. Sorry, but I have a big dislike for all this foreign stuff.

hotrodbob

Foreign stuff? Aint all the stuff coming to Canada Foreign stuff?

Quote from: "47convert"Here's how I'd do it: Dig a big hole, shove the truck in, fill the hole. Sorry, but I have a big dislike for all this foreign stuff.
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

Mikej

Quote from: "hotrodbob"Foreign stuff? Aint all the stuff coming to Canada Foreign stuff?

Quote from: "47convert"Here's how I'd do it: Dig a big hole, shove the truck in, fill the hole. Sorry, but I have a big dislike for all this foreign stuff.

Yes      :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Which ones?  :?:

All foreign brands?

Foreign stuff built in foreign countries and shipped here.

Foreign stuff built in the USA by USA workers ?

USA brands built in foreign countries and shipped here?

Tony