Wire terminals

Started by enjenjo, March 19, 2005, 01:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip

Quote from: "MikeC"Skip,
Who sells Tool Aid?  I have never heard of this brand.
MikeC

Most tool trucks (MAC, Snap-On, Cornwell, etc) carry it, sometimes under their own brand name.

You can mail-order it from www.thetoolwarehouse.net too.  Just put tool aid in the search box and you'll find the crimper and the crimper kit down near the bottom of the list.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW119.html#5423
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Skip"Then cover it with dual wall shrink tubing

I'm not familar with dual wall. Never seen it available.

Some applications I use two pieces of regular shrink tube
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Skip"Then cover it with dual wall shrink tubing

I'm not familar with dual wall. Never seen it available.

Some applications I use two pieces of regular shrink tube

It's available most anywhere. The inner layer is an adhesive/sealant that weatherproofs the connection.  AMP is one brand.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I buy shrink tube from Fry's elelctronics here.  They have the larger stuff for battery terminal / cable ends

Quote from: "enjenjo"

It's available most anywhere. The inner layer is an adhesive/sealant that weatherproofs the connection.  AMP is one brand.
Tony

enjenjo

Well then, go to Fry's, and ask for dual wall Polyolefin shrink tube.

paul2748

Am I just lucky?  While I would not disagree with anything that that was said previously, I' ve done three cars with the ordinary insulated type of terminals, a crimper with the bump on it and have only experienced one terminal coming loose/broken.  And that was the car I wired about 20 years ago and have driven the hell out of the car.  And I am fussy how everything goes together,  how it looks and durability.

58Apache

I don't know about you being lucky, but my past experiences come under the heading of Murphy's Law. If it could go wrong it did, and sometimes at the worst possible times.

I used to do the "wrap the wires together and then use electrical tape" method, and if failed more often than not. I also crimped using cheap crimpers, and the wire pulled out with the slightest tug.

Since then I learned how easy it is to solder wires, if you know a few easy rules. Try tugging on a well soldered connection and chances are it will break somewhere else before it breaks at the soldered joint. Add to that a good mechanical crimp before you solder, and the chances of that joint failing at the wrong time are nil.

I plan on driving my vehicle to car shows many miles from home. I'll likely have minimal tools with me, and little no chance of soldering on the road.

I figure I have a lot invested in a road trip, from vacation time to plans with friends that I don't want to hold up or put a burden on, not to mention gas, food, and motels.  

The last thing I need is a problem on the road, so IF I can do things that minimalize that possibility, I will.

One last thing. I believe that vehicle fires are one of the most common non-accident ways of destruction of a vehicle. I believe I read that  electrical problems are the #1 cause of vehicle fires?  

Most guys will do a lot of things to car to upgrade them, but electrical work seems to be the #1 most avoided upgrade, due to fear and lack of understanding. This is a good place to help out those that need a helping hand in this area.

Steve

Crosley.In.AZ

I don't have much luck doing things the "easy , quick " method.  :shock:

A friend came by my house years ago with his 26 foot enclosed trailer.  he wanted me to fix his wires from the trailer to the truck.

He had used butt connectors to extend the trailer wires.  He used common slip joint pliers to crush the connectors and wondered why the wires would pull out easily.

It took me an hour to cut his crap out and solder in some new wires and hook up a new plug
Tony

Digger__Dave

AMP is one brand, (Aircraft Marine Products) of terminal end that I use exclusively. They are the high end type; brazed barrel. They are available in both insulated and un-insulated.

I also use their crimp tools. (they are designed for the ends they make)
The set that I have, that Skip shows, is very much the same. (interchangeable dies) They allow for a wire and insulation crimp at the same time

They also make the various types of shrink tube. Single wall, double wall (with sealant) and "hard" wall. (improves mechanical connection)

Check under "Aircraft Electrical Supplies" in the yellow pages.
DIGGER DAVE
FLATHEAD FANATIC
BONNEVILLE "JUNKIE"  8)

Skip

http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?category=Shrink%20Tube%20%26%20Tape&page=1

Go here and buy it in 4 foot lengths.  It's cheaper that way.

the dual wall stuff shrinks down to twice the thickness of the normal stuff.  the triple wayy (for battery cables) is thre times as thick as the normal stuff.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

enjenjo

Quote from: "Skip"http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?category=Shrink%20Tube%20%26%20Tape&page=1

the dual wall stuff shrinks down to twice the thickness of the normal stuff.  the triple wayy (for battery cables) is thre times as thick as the normal stuff.

That's where I get it too.

Crosley.In.AZ

i bought the tool skip suggested.  neat setup.  I ordered it sunday and it arrived today

I bought  a few other items .

another 100 bux spent on this hobby
Tony

jaybee

One for the Tech section?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

MikeC

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Skip"http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?category=Shrink%20Tube%20%26%20Tape&page=1

What thicknesses of the shrink tube should I buy?  There is 1/8. 1/4, on up.  I will be wiring the entire car using a wiring harness so I really don't need much, but I am not sure how much this stuff shrinks.
MikeC

enjenjo

Most of it shrinks about 50 percent reliably. 1/8" is good for 18 ga wire or smaller  3/16" for 14-16 ga. and 1/4" for 10-12 ga. You're right, you won't need that much for one car.