Long term project

Started by enjenjo, March 19, 2005, 12:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Man............. This does make me fell better!

sirstude

I spent about 15 years doing the studebaker, 2 front suspensions, including chopping the frame off and rebuilding it, 3 motors, 2 trannys, and several other choices.

The Olds is now at 10 years, and the third motor choice, and second suspension.  Trying to get it going for the summer of 2006.

Seems if I go too fast, it just seems like work.  Also I built several other cars for myself and other during that period.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Grandadeo

I had my 1938 American Bantam Sedan Delivery for 32 years.  Bought it when I was still in the navy and started working on it in 1970.  Built a new frame and tried to do a bunch of narrowing to independant front and rear suspensions, the hot setup at the time.  Got in over my head engineering wise and pushed against the wall where it became a great storage shelf for the next almost three decades.  Sold it a few years ago to help finance the '32 hiboy.  Do I miss it? Not really.  I'm  having too much fun driving the wheels off the '32.  And the thought of long trips at 70 -80 mph in a 75" wheel base truck towing a mullins trailer really scares the heck out of me.  When the guy bought it from me he said he didn't know when or if he'd get around to finishing it but he just had to have it.  Funny, that was my feeling 32 years prior.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

lobucrod

I have had the same 38 Chevy coupe since 1974. Thats 31 years. I drove it up to 85. It sat from 85 to 95, spent 5 years rebuilding it and have been driving it and working on it since. Also have a mid engine corvair I started building in 1989. Got all of the mechanicals done about 5 years ago. Been waiting on body work and paint since. I've thought about selling it several times but a guys got to have at least one long term project to tide him over between projects.

oldmetal

Quote from: "enjenjo"What is the longest you have worked on a project car without finishing it?

Not quite a project car....but been working on a 1947 Dodgem bumpercar that I am streetrodding for about 3 yrs now. Got the drivetrain all assembled,40 ford grill and chopped windshield installed,,,,,maybe drive it next year,

http://fatfords.com/fordogem.htm

http://fatfords.com/bumperod.htm

fordnutz

I have had my 27 T tub for 25 years. It was a project that never seemed to get finished. Built lots of cars in between. Finished it last July for my daughter's wedding. Great feeling finally finishing it. I had no thought of ever selling it. Still wouldn't sell it. I have wanted one since I was 13 after I saw the red one in the Beach Party movie. Took 24 years to finish but from what I see here it was a short term project. LOL. Fordnutz.
Build em or buy em, but drive em.