Lake Gairdner

Started by Larry@Graffiti, March 17, 2005, 04:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry@Graffiti

Just back from the salt lake with exciting news. John Lynch finally got his 300 mph in his bellytank lakester, going 301.729 on Tuesday afternoon. We stood at the four mile marker on the rocky outcrop and watched him go through - awesome. Much excitement and celebration in the pits afterwards and the whole emotional scene captured by the Aussie 60 Minutes crew who were filming out there all week. I had Ryan Pierse with me who works for Getty Images, a worldwide news photo service (also my daughter's boyfriend) and some of his pictures are on the getty website. Not sure if I do this link properly but go to http://editorial.gettyimages.com/ms_gins/source/home/home.aspx?pg=3
and look for the salt lake pic. click on that and you will get the selection of 15 or so awesome pics. This page keeps moving forward as more items are added so while it is on page 3 when I posted this it may move on to page 4 etc as time passes. Some other speeds current as of Wednesday midday when we left:
Stamp/Soderblom A roadster 180 mph
Rod Hadfield/Lionel West Commodore 254 mph
Norm Bradfield Mustang 201 mph
Norm Hardinge/Wayne Belot 34 roadster 188 mph
Bob Ellis XP Falcon 203 mph
Mark Hadfield/Wally James Mustang 187 mph
Green VL Commodore from Pt Pirie 193 mph
Ray Charlton 32 roadster 181 mph
There were several street motorcycles going really fast, one reaching 216 mph.
Now I have to catch up with work again. Will post more as soon as some of the teams get back if I can squeeze in the time.

_Drewfus_

They are AWESOME.......this is such a great thing for the DLRA.

1. those photo's blow me away.
2.60 minutes...........national press of that nature, absolutely breathtaking to think what this will do for the sport. Like NITROUS on a 10 second car.....
3. I am so excited, this is awsome.
4. By those figuires qouted, the feeling in the camps would be exceptional, as the personal achievements for each name are as breathtaking as the photo's.

Bring it on, I've got to get to work on my salty coupe.

Thanks for letting us know,

Drewfus :D
\"Dear God,
help me be the MAN that my dog thinks I am.......\"

grazza

1.   Larry, thanks for the news.  Australian engineering at its best.

2.   Ryan, great, great pixs. Larry you going to give us some more in
     ASR?

3.   Larry congratulations on the Last Word, issue178, "Another Age
     Approaching".  As usual for you the article was, only IMO, written well
     got the message across is shouldn't get anyone offside.  Well done.
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

1FATGMC

Thanks for all the great information Larry.

Do you know how the Brough's brother's lakester did?

c ya, Sum

TJ's Dad

Great Stuff Larry ...

Reckon I'd need a change of underwear at 300kph

I echo Grazza's comment on "Last Word" ... well written, what a pity it wasnt published a few weeks earlier.

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Anonymous

Great news and information that John passed the 300mph.
Also interesting to see the Photos and that some one is in the Diesel class.
What great photos with the cloud of diesel smoke and the helcopter filming. Can not wait to see 60 Minutes.

Bob K

Sure glad that this dude ( the event director )  don't show up at B'vill dressed like that  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It might create quite a commotion.

B :oops: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Anonymous

That is Animal. He is a real "Character" at Speed week.

TJ's Dad

It takes lots of ways to become a 'local' but I reckon you Castlemaine buggers will give Lynchy the nod now !!  :lol:  :lol:

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Bob K

Our "Character" at B'ville for many years was "OL DAD", Gray Baskerville. He only took off his shoes though. I shudder to think what might have happened had he dressed like Animal.

B :roll: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Larry@Graffiti

Brough brothers hadn't run when I left, I know they had some problems at tech inspection. Just got a copy of today's melbourne Age - any Victorian rodders get a copy. Page 5 there are two of Ryan's pictures used in colour, one of Bob Ellis' XP and one of John on his Bellytank. Also ABC radio interviewed John and his wife Maureen one after the other this morning. great stuff.

flatoz

thanks Larry,

all great news, better go and get a copy of the age.

TJ's Dad

"The Age " .... Gawd we are becoming a sophisticated mob !

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Anonymous

Good ( Sorry Great ) Publicity for the DLRA.
( Dry Lake Racers Australia ). Castlemaine will be on the map for more than just being the place the Rolls Royce powered 55 Chev was built.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "cool23"Castlemaine will be on the map for more than just being the place the Rolls Royce powered 55 Chev was built.

Not to steal this thread, but I forgot all about that car.  Was it ever finished? And did it really run, I mean like driveable on the street?

c ya, Sum