Report on the 34........

Started by Ohio Blue Tip, March 15, 2005, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Blue Tip

Just a little progress report on the new 34.  The steering box (Vega) was too far forward and consequently angled down and way to low to the ground.  I didn't have enough fan clearance to run a proper fan and shroud.  After much beer and planning with Charlie Chops (Consulting Engineer) it was decided we must move the engine/trans back 1.75", which would correct both the problems.  So, Charlie cut clearance in the X member and trimmed the plate in the X that mounts the Trans, then moved and slotted the Trans mount holes in the plate, easy job as Charlie has a mill.  Last night we welded gusset plates on the outside of the X to get the strength back and welded in the motor mounts and steering box mount.  (Charlie welds much better than I when upside down under a car, so I let him make sparks).  I have removed the dash and hope to get a good price for the ΒΌ" wood panel dash extension on e-bay.  Much more to do but steering and stopping are high on the list.  Sure glad I bought a driver. :oops:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Crosley.In.AZ

Sounds like yer gettin stuff done. I wish I could.

welding upside down is interesting and a burning experience...

Keep that consulting engineer around....  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

So if I read this right...Charlie modified your X member, relocated & welded the motor mounts, and relocated & welded the steering box mounting plate while you listed your hand rubbed birch plywood dash extension on ebay.  :wink: Hey Charlie.....wanna come over and drink some beer at my place? :lol:

Kidding aside, it's good to see you're working hard on the '34 and making things right.  Looking forward to cruisin' down the highway with you. 8)

....now if I could just get out in the shop and work on my stuff :?
George

Hey Charlie.....I'll not only supply the cold beer....I'll throw a couple large T-bones on the grill....I'm next after George! Ken....Hope to see the car somewhere down the road this year!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "purplepickup"So if I read this right...Charlie modified your X member, relocated & welded the motor mounts, and relocated & welded the steering box mounting plate while you listed your hand rubbed birch plywood dash extension on ebay.  :wink: Hey Charlie.....wanna come over and drink some beer at my place? :lol:

Kidding aside, it's good to see you're working hard on the '34 and making things right.  Looking forward to cruisin' down the highway with you. 8)

....now if I could just get out in the shop and work on my stuff :?

Ya, Charlie is good help, we are only a couple of miles apart and we work well together, so we often share tasks.  I'm blessed with many good friends in the Muskegon area and many friends world wide because of the RRT.  I love this place. :D  :D  :D
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Charlie Chops 1940

LOL - George and Daryle are next on the Charlie Chops hit list. Retirement isn't only a lot of fun I get to do lotsa stuff cheap, uhhh inexpensive sounds better. Don't forget though, ya get what ya pay for.!

Daryle - I'm gonna spend a few days west after BTTF, maybe I'll have to stop and and do a little work for food.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"

Ya, Charlie is good help, we are only a couple of miles apart and we work well together, so we often share tasks.  I'm blessed with many good friends in the Muskegon area and many friends world wide because of the RRT.  I love this place. :D  :D  :D

He just doesn't want you ridding around with him any more!!!! So any thing he can do to get you on your own, he's all for. :wink:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Ohio Blue Tip

He just doesn't want you ridding around with him any more!!!! So any thing he can do to get you on your own, he's all for. :wink:

Mike[/quote]

Mike, I'll be up your way Saturday morning for the annual Irish corned beef dinner, so stop by Becker's and bring some beer, as I'll have to spend all my money on gas to get up there!
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

rumrumm

Cabbage and beer? Look out! LOL!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"bring some beer, as I'll have to spend all my money on gas to get up there!

Story of my life!

At least you'll be full of gas for the ride home :oops: I'm glad I won't be riding with you  :shock:

See ya Saturday,
Mike
Till we meet - On the street

HotRodLadyCrusr

Can I be third on that list Charlie???  Not only will I supply beer and steaks but a HUGE batch of cookies as well!  :wink:  xoxoxo

Looking good Ken!  Can't wait to see it running down the road.  Remember, I get a ride 8)
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

phat46

(Charlie welds much better than I when upside down under a car, so I let him make sparks).

I gotta remember that one...."you're so much better than I am at --------------"   Insert any nasty job you don't want to do where the dashed lines are.... :D  :D  :D

Charlie Chops 1940

My wife uses that same backhanded compliment method....

You're 3rd Denise. I may have to get a secretary to take care of my appointments at this rate...LOL.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Charlie....I will be at The 50's....It's a "Never Miss Event" for me.I'd love to have you stop by on your way West....Lots of room....Stay as long as you like!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks Daryle. We'll get together for sure.

Charlie

A Hooligan!