Price of Gasoline

Started by tomterrific, February 26, 2004, 10:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomterrific

My cousin down in Carolina just sent me this suggestion for getting gas prices to come down. To get to the heart of the idea, just stop buying gas from EXXON/Mobil. If their gas doesn't sell at its cuirrent high price, they will eventually bring the price down, forcing other brands to follow suit. The idea is if we can put a critical mass of people together to do this, we CAN make it happen. If this idea makes sense to you pass it on to evryone you know. Maybe we can get it back to 25 cents a gallon. Remember those days?

Sean

Quote from: "tomterrific"Maybe we can get it back to 25 cents a gallon. Remember those days?

Allright Tom, what have you been smoking? :)

47wood

Yes, it could work ...I don't know who buys from all those high-priced stations I pass.   Get mine either at Sam's or the Air Base for about $1.48 these days.  Speaking of 25-cent gas ...during the early 70's down in Waco I was filling up my 67 Nova SS for 19-cents (Ethel, too) during the gas wars.  Ah, the good ole' days ...if I could just go back and buy 1,000 shares of Walmart!!!
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Sean

No doubt it could work. Getting everybody else in the nation to go along with it is the problem.

mopar2dr

Heading into work this morning(4:30am :shock:) I noticed gas was $1.52. Sssooo I whipped the pickup in for a fillup. Good thing too,because it shot up to $1.79 by the time my wife got to town. I have to wonder why that gas in underground tanks suddenly jumped in value. If a large chain of stations has a half million gallons in the tanks and marks it up .25 cents,the word gouging comes to mind. Also a few more words that would be edited.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

enjenjo

Quote from: "mopar2dr"Heading into work this morning(4:30am :shock:) I noticed gas was $1.52. Sssooo I whipped the pickup in for a fillup. Good thing too,because it shot up to $1.79 by the time my wife got to town. I have to wonder why that gas in underground tanks suddenly jumped in value. If a large chain of stations has a half million gallons in the tanks and marks it up .25 cents,the word gouging comes to mind. Also a few more words that would be edited.

No product is worth what you pay for it, it's worth what it will cost to replace it. They only have the excess profit until they get the next load of gas., Which they may sell at $1.38, and lose money on that load.

I've been there, I had a service station for a while. I heard the same complaints. But the money never made it to my pocket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40 Chev Coupe

Been tried in my area a couple of years ago, it didn't work to well. All the stations still stuck together to keep the price up.
A $1.48 send me some. At $1.80 up here and rising.

tomterrific

Well, if we each told all our friends, and they told all their friends etc etc. That would be a good chunk of US gas buyers. Besides its easy. Can't remember the last time I bought exxon/mobil gas. Look what the internet did for Howard Dean.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"I've been there, I had a service station for a while. I heard the same complaints. But the money never made it to my pocket.

I don't think the small station owner is making much these days, but IMO the multinationals are making a killing.  Last weekend my Dad was telling me how the Standard station in town was offered to him many years ago.  To make a living at it he would have had to have spent just about every waking moment at the station to keep labor costs down AND done respectably at tire sales and auto repairs.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dolly

Down this neck of the woods, the small family owned service staion is pretty much dead and burried since the oil companies have screwed the operators in order to take over the retail distribution and rape us end users at will.

The retail price here fluctuates daily with the price last Wednesday being as low as $0.87 per litre (that's around 1/4 of a gallon) and today, Saturday it's up to $0.99 cents per litre.

Of course of that amount, some $0.45 cents is taken by the gummint as fuel excise and another 11% is our beloved Goods and Services Tax which we pay pretty much ever time we exchange money for anything.

So please fogive the Aussies if they show no sympathy for your plight.   :wink:
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

phat rat

Paid $1.519 for gas this morning just across the river from Louisville. Saw it as high as $1.799 on the run for home
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.