Black Suede

Started by JGross, March 11, 2005, 09:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGross

Hey guys it has been awhile since I have been to the site but I have a question-  I want to dip my ride in Black suede.  About a year ago, there was some discussion on which paint to use.  In fact one member had some pics of his car that he had just painted.  If anyone remembers or can direct me to the right source, I would appreciate it very much.

Jud in Auberry CA

Bib_Overalls

I painted my roadster John Deere Blitz Black.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Beck

PPG has a "hot rod black" also. There is a new truck magazine out that has a cover photo and inside feature on a late model Ford PU done in the PPG paint. Check it out at your magazine stand.I have heard about the John Deere black, but didn't know the exact color it was called. I recomended it to another rodder putting together a beater driver. We have a JD dealer very close by. The tractor grade paint I have used is enamel. I am currently working on a project using Case tractor colors. I bought the paint at the tractor dealer. It is soft after drying. I 2 toned a panel and got tape marks on the paint. I waited a week and tried to buff. The paint is so soft. I worked my way down to glazing compound then wax. It never quit cutting paint. The gloss never came back. I have another tractor pulling buddy that uses the JD green paint. He has worked out a combination of someone elses hardner and reducer for the paint. It lays down slick and really shines. You would swear it is 2 stage urethane. I would think the JD paint would be much less expensive.
Beck

enjenjo

I buy the Hardner for the John Deere paint at Tractor Supply, it's a universal hardner. Compared to urethane it is still soft though. the 34 Airflow is done partly in the Blitz Black.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I used John Deere Blitz black on my car trailer when I redid it last summer.  At the same time I painted my motorcycle helmet.  I used the correct reducer and hardener but it still was real easy to scratch and mark up but even tho the finish gets marks it is still pretty strong paint.  I really don't care if the trailer or the helmet get marks and for the price it did what I wanted and it does look pretty good.  In all fairness, the paint might not have fully cured before it scratched (within a month).  I think it was $25/gal for the paint, $18/gal for reducer and $15 for hardener.  It sprayed and covered real good.  You have to be careful to add the reducer real slow to the paint while stirring or it will curdle up.  I mixed a small bad batch by just pouring the reducer all at once into the paint then stirring it.

I've got a painter friend that uses Dupont Hot Hues Hot Rod Black.  It's a single stage, 2 part urethane.  It doesn't chalk up or scratch and it has a really nice satin finish. The number is HHM-6400 for the paint and HHA-6405 for the activator.   It's kind of expensive tho.  Around $65/qt for paint and almost $30 for activator.  It's the only paint my friend will use for the flat black stripes and hoods on Mopars and he recently did a chopper that was pinstriped and it came out just awesome.  I seriously thought about doing my bike the same way.  It's probably comparable to PPG.  Hot Hues also has a satin clear for use over basecoat.
George

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "JGross"Hey guys it has been awhile since I have been to the site but I have a question-  I want to dip my ride in Black suede.  About a year ago, there was some discussion on which paint to use.  In fact one member had some pics of his car that he had just painted.  If anyone remembers or can direct me to the right source, I would appreciate it very much.

Jud in Auberry CA

I used Omni (a product of PPG) single stage urethane with flattener.  Runs about $100 a gallon for everything you need, paint, flattener, hardener and reducer.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

n.c.rodder

I know 2 guys up my way that have both painted their last two projects with Tractor Suppy flat black. Both were happy with the finish! Best part it's CHEAP!! :lol:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

58 Yeoman

If you use this tractor paint and run it for a while, what problems would you run into if you decided to put some color on it later?  Would you have to spray sealer over it?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

34ford

thought I should throw this in since you are talking tractor paint and it's close to tax time.  :lol:  :lol:

enjenjo

The Tractor Supply paint is synthetic enamel, and you have to seal it before putting anything else over it.

Dolly

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"If you use this tractor paint and run it for a while, what problems would you run into.....

I'm told the most common problem is your car develops an affinity to running off the asphalt into the feilds.    :lol:
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Dolly"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"If you use this tractor paint and run it for a while, what problems would you run into.....

I'm told the most common problem is your car develops an affinity to running off the asphalt into the feilds.    :lol:

Then I'd never get to where I was going...this area is full of corn and bean fields. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

RatBandit

Using the blitz black was my first idea when I brought my car home.  It looks like thats all I'll need and best of all it is cheap.  One of my dads friend has a flat black on his car and he uses a brillow pad when he washes it.  Do you need to do the same with this.

DrJ

Tractor paint is good for tractors, "field cars", and other agricultural tools and equipment... :wink:

Blitz Black is water base here in CA.
Is that the same as elsewhere?

enjenjo

Here you can get it as synthetic enamel at tractor supply, or Acrylic enamel at the Deere dealer.