Jaguar crossmembers

Started by 50chevydan, March 09, 2005, 11:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50chevydan

I have asked about the usage of jag crossmembers on a 49-52 chevy before but I figured with the addition of our new Aussie friends that it would not be a bad  idea to bring it up again.  I was wondering what all was involved as, what jags could be used, as well as any good or bad things about them. Any information or pictures would be a great help.
                                                                                     Thanks
                                                                                     Dan

Pep

Going by the guys that have used them they are pleased with them.They already have a rack that is incorparted so the geometry will be fine. Also Ford stud patterm. From what I believe, the XJ series are the go. Sorry no pics from me, But I reckon a few will show their handy waork.
See Ya
Pep

Mac

I'll be watching this thread with interest cause it's the IFS I'm using.

What I can offer is: I think what you want to look for are XJ6 and XJS from the 80's. Available relatively cheap but watch for rust in the x-member especially up in the spring towers. It's a rugged front end -these are 2 ton cars. Can be a bit too wide for some if you want that tuck. Best ride when fitted with the rubber iso mounts as opposed to welded fast. Hubs are 5 on 4 3/4 (Chevy). Brakes are good with most being 11" rotors and 4 piston Gerling (sp) calipers -these are not floating style so you have to fuss with shims to align them to the rotor. The rack is notorious for leaks they say and it's rear steer so oil pan and exhaust clearance can become an issue.

Mac
Who\'s yer Data?

X38

Yes, they're chev stud pattern.

Cheap to buy.

All one unit, all you add is top shock mount.

5 minute install in F1/early f100.

Great ride, lowness, geometry.

As usual with British things, suspect in some areas (leaks etc), fiddly (non floating caliper), expensive parts (I assume).

Bates

I just walked inside from welding the brackets to mount the jag front to a 51 chev chassis. They are the best front to use, I run one in a 50 chev with a 350/4 speed ,rides perfect. The only probem is they are close at the rack pinion to the chassis needing a slight recess made,otherwise work great . I have four chassis to put fronts into for people all 49-54s .Getting popular over here
Dale

halfdone

Mac

As usual with British things, suspect in some areas (leaks etc), fiddly (non floating caliper), expensive parts (I assume).[/quote]

I have the bits collected to convert `98-`02 Ford Crown Vic (Grand Marquis or Towncar) 12.4" rotors and 2 piston calipers to the Jag spindles.
Not sure if I'll sleeve the stub axle for the Ford hubs or have new stubs turned. A big nut on the back allows removal of the stub from the spindle.
These brakes need 16" or bigger wheels.

Aftermarket parts are available at reasonable prices. Here's a good stateside source: http://www.jaggraveyard.com/xj-6_parts.htm
Who\'s yer Data?

cyberrodder

Series II are the ones you are after around 78 to mid 80's but I believe series 3 are the same as well.  Series I are still ok but jaguar upgrade the brakes on series II.

I have one (sII) to go in my 37chev but I am questioning if it will bring the front end down low enough though, you can get lowered springs for them but I still have a feeling its not going to be the ride height I am after.

And yes with Britsh the racks are prone to leaking and need to be rebuilt. As for prices everyone has told me there is always a way to get around the prices being asked for original stuff.

cyber
--------------
37 Chev Oz
28 Chev

Bates

Airbags work perfect the shocker is mounted outside already so wack in a bag and go. I found the best springs for a 49-54 are the series one springs they are softer than series two and three and give a better ride in these models.
Dale

Pep

Yeah...Chev bolt pattern...I don't know why I said Ford...Must have been thinking of P76 rotors. :oops:
See Ya
Pep

cyberrodder

Hey while we are on the same topic for my SII front end I am missing the rack, are they same for all models? Or has anyone got a cheap replacement for them?

cyber.
--------------
37 Chev Oz
28 Chev

X38

Cyber, compared to a GM stub, the jag looks "dropped."

Have seen a 46 Tudor with Jag front & Cleveland - plenty of clearance for everything including steering, and sits in the weeds.

For 46/8 cars, narrowing the c/member 1 1/2 - 2" would help. The car mentioned is uncut and tyres are tight on lock, but is really is on the deck so the tyres are right up in the fenders.

38HAULR

I can also vouch for the Jag f/e ,nice fit under the 38 Chev,the rear end is also a good fit ,as the 38 rails are the same spacing as the  donor Jag subframe but  each rail is narrower in width ,I used the original vee mounts ,aside to Dave, re the rack interchange between series ,I will ask my son tonight about that one,as he did his apprenticeship on these vehicles,and worked exclusively on them,I know there are two different  length pinions used though.......Frank.

Mac

QuoteFor 46/8 cars, narrowing the c/member 1 1/2 - 2" would help. The car mentioned is uncut and tyres are tight on lock, but is really is on the deck so the tyres are right up in the fenders.
[/quote]

My plan is to narrow the series II front end I have by 4" to put up under my `54 Jag MkVII. I'll probbly have to get a custom power rack made for the narrower track to keep the rod ends the same length and avoid bumpsteer. WWW.Mavalgear.com quoted me like $800 for a custom rack. :cry:  If I didn't get the complete F/E for just over $100 it would hurt worse. As it is I should have a rebuilt front suspension with upgraded brakes for less than the cost of a Heidts, etc. MII.

It occurs to me that front steer racks from LH drive land would work for rear steer racks in RH drive countries. Maybe you Aussies could swap out leaky Jag racks with Yank T-Bird racks (for instance) by fabbing up mounts. :D

Oh, hey maybe there's and appropriate length front steer rack from an OZ car that I could use on my project?  :shock:
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

QuoteMaybe you Aussies could swap out leaky Jag racks with Yank T-Bird racks (for instance) by fabbing up mounts.  

Sure, we can do that. Send me a leaky RHD Jag rack, and I'll send you back a leaky LHD Tbird rack :lol:

seriously, the same thought had occured to me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.