Radiator Hose

Started by timkins, March 09, 2005, 08:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I used the 55 chevy lower hose on my 33 too. Worked great. There are enough rodders in the area that the local auto part store stocks one for us. I used soldered copper fittings on my pulling tractor hoses where I needed tight bends with no problems. Lots of vibration there but short cycle times.
Beck

jeffa

I had a similar issue with the Cleveland in my Essex. The lower pump outlet on the 302 is just too far above the lower radiator outlet. I considered coolflex but the angle was too tight. I then thought that maybe if I put a loop in the hose it could meet the radiator outlet exactly. I was at a plumbing suppliers and saw the piece I wanted, the right diameter and in chrome plated brass no less.
I use the method described above with two lengths of bent hose (not 90 degrees: about 120). All fiited up OK. Looks good too.
Just a note: I run a bead of solder around the end of the metal pipe. It stops the hose slipping off, and there's no need to use two clamps.
I think the part I used was a part of an "S" bend for a batthroom hand basin.

Beck

Quote from: "jeffa"I was at a plumbing suppliers and saw the piece I wanted, the right diameter and in chrome plated brass no less.
Just a note: I run a bead of solder around the end of the metal pipe. It stops the hose slipping off, and there's no need to use two clamps.
I think the part I used was a part of an "S" bend for a batthroom hand basin.

I would not use the bathroom drain piping. That material is much thinner than the regular copper tubing fittings.
The idea of the solder around the end of the tube is a good one. I have been doing the same on metal tubes that join rubber hose, even small diameter ones like transmission lines. I go one step further. I take fine copper wire and wrap the tube first then solder it all. This gives a bigger "barb" for the hose to catch on. When working with stainless steel I use silver to solder the ring on. It is pricy but one rod goes a long way. After your fininshed shape it up a little with a small file.
Beck

timkins

Thanks to DRD 57 for the suggestion to use the 55 Chevy lower hose. I ordered one through my local parts house and with a little trimming here and there it works great. Thanks again.

Charlie Chops 1940

A little side note on the Kool Flex style hoses. I recent;y ordered an upper and a lower set from Parr - they are chromed stainless according to the advert. The upper worked excellently but the water pump and lower radiator inlet/outlet sizes are slightly  larger ( by about a 16th") than the  ID of the base hose in the kit and so far I have not been able to get the hose over either one. The hose appears to be the same as gas filler neck hose and is very inflexible. I'm gonna visit the local rubber supply house to see if I can find a slightly larger ID hose that will still fit the aluminum cover.

I have used a Kook Flex brand kit before but it was a while back and I don't recall what the hose was like.

The 55-57 hose may be a the fall back for my installation. I guess I had forgotten them as a good hose since they probably haven't been on the rack at any of my sources for quite some time. Thank Don.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

34ford

Quote from: "Beck"I used the 55 chevy lower hose on my 33 too. Worked great. There are enough rodders in the area that the local auto part store stocks one for us. I used soldered copper fittings on my pulling tractor hoses where I needed tight bends with no problems. Lots of vibration there but short cycle times.
Beck

Hey Beck,

What hose did you use for the upper hose? My air cleaner sticks out over  the straight up thermo housing I have and need to clear it.

thanks

bob

enjenjo

QuoteThe hose appears to be the same as gas filler neck hose and is very inflexible

I think that hose is EPMD rubber, and very stiff. I dip the end in very hot water, it softens it a bit, and lubricates it enough to slip over the fitting.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks for the tip Frank. I'll try that.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Anonymous

Stainless is only a cheap copy of Cool-flex.
Cool-flex is made of Copper.
As the advertisment says-

" Beware of cheap imitations."

jeffa

Quote from: "timkins"To "DDR 57", do you have a NAPA number for the hose?

...Or a picture/URL?

Charlie Chops 1940

Yeah I know what "they" say. Time will tell. The s/s hose seems to bend just fine so, who knows?

Charlie

A Hooligan!

32coupe

I have a 32 with a SBC and I use the stainless hose, it fits just fine for me.

If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

jeffa

Nice, "32 coup": VERY nice.
Is the angle as the hose comes out of the pump as tight as it looks, or is it just the angle of the photograph?
J

32coupe

Quote from: "jeffa"Nice, "32 coup": VERY nice.
Is the angle as the hose comes out of the pump as tight as it looks, or is it just the angle of the photograph?
J

It is as tight as it looks, the big mistake that I made first off was I cut the hose tooo short to fit after I bent it to fit :oops:  

But as luck would have it, the kit comes with plenty of hose to make up for ken mistakes. :D
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

jeffa

Quote from: "32coupe"
Quote from: "jeffa"Nice, "32 coup": VERY nice.
J

It is as tight as it looks, the big mistake that I made first off was I cut the hose tooo short to fit after I bent it to fit :oops:  

But as luck would have it, the kit comes with plenty of hose to make up for ken mistakes. :D
By "ken mistakes" didn't you mean " 'ken mistakes "?
BTW What part of Canned-beeria are you in?