Try to keep history from repeating itself!

Started by Jokester, March 07, 2005, 09:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

Hi friends,

I'm trying to keep from having my car stolen again.  I'm getting my new steering column next week, but the car still has to sit outside until I get my shop built.

Does anyone know of a shield or cover that would prevent such an easy theft?  It's a 1985 El Camino.

Thanks,  

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

58Apache

Ummmm just thinking out loud here ....what if ....... you insulated the door handle ...  and then hooked up a remote control unit that activated and deactivated a taser?

Set the taser to active when you leave ...and then hope like heck you don't forget to unset it when you want to drive it?

You can always do a pick-up truck dual tank switch to cut off the gas, but that won't save a busted column.

Just some thoughts?

Steve

enjenjo

There is someone making an armored steering column cover, I have seen one, but I don't know who it is.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

nzsimon

You can make a device that makes it impossible to activate the pedals basically a piece of plywood or steel that goes under the pedals and has a piece that swings over the top with a padlock so it can't be removed

vehicle can't be driven if you cant push down any of the pedals

Alternatively a button hidden somewhere that interupts the supply to the ign switch
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Crosley.In.AZ

the steel cover for the whole section of the column was common out here years ago.  I have not seen one in years though.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

32coupe

In OZ, we have remote devices that are part of our car alarm, that cut the power supply to the starter, we call them imobalizers. They come in very handy if you have a teenager in the house who wants to learn to drive your rod when you are at work :D
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Jokester

Good suggestions.  I deliberated over a cable operated battery shut off (I don't care if I lose the radio channels), but that doesn't prevent the guy from damaging the column.  He wouldn't find out about the "dead" battery until after the damage was done.

I've found a few of the steel column covers on Ebay.  I was wondering if they were effective or not.  I've heard that The Club is a waste of money.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Jahoota

Time to acquire yourself a non venomous snake, preferably a big python.  One of those wrapped around your steering column will deter anybody!
Paint chips add character...

jeffa

Jokester;
What you need is an obvious deterent. Most of the protective shields that go around the ignition wires are mounted inside the plastic column, so once again, the thief has to break the cover to find he can't steal the car.
You say the "club" type of lock are not considered useful? At least a would-be thief will see it and maybe go on to another car, particularly if you get a well respected brand.
Has the car got central locking or deadlocks? With deadlocks, there's no way a thief can gain access except through a broken window (gets a bit obvious).
You *could* make up an external metal shield to put around the column, it will look a bit ugly, but at least it will show the thief you mean business.
J

BigBlockDodge

I use a length of chain inside a clear plastic tube, looped under the brake or clutch pedal then through the steering wheel or around the steering collum. use a BIG padlock. Thief can see it easily and hopefully will not bother with your car. Car cannot be driven, or steered. Simple but so far effective.
Regards,
Dave.

If it\'s loud and fast I want to be in it.

More horsepower is the answer,
I don\'t care what the question was.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jahoota"Time to acquire yourself a non venomous snake, preferably a big python.  One of those wrapped around your steering column will deter anybody!

I knew a guy from Bordertown SA who did that I think he called the Snake Monty  :lol:
Well it works. ever seen the Hummer in the film 'Gone in 60 Seconds' ? :lol:

Locking hand brake handle works as good a steering antitheft LJ50 convertible 4WD Suzukis used them.

SKR8PN

Electric Fence Charger...........for HORSES.
Conceal the wires and just use an aligator clip to hold the "hot" lead  to the chassis........... The tires will insulate the car from grounding out.
Won't take the would be thief very long to let go :lol:
Go ahead,ask ME how I know it works :twisted:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Jokester"Hi friends,

I'm trying to keep from having my car stolen again.  I'm getting my new steering column next week, but the car still has to sit outside until I get my shop built.

Does anyone know of a shield or cover that would prevent such an easy theft?  It's a 1985 El Camino.

Thanks,  

.bjb

Get a quick release hub for the steering wheel like the racers use and take the steering wheel with you.

I use a locking master cut-off switch and wire around it for the radio.

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

There are locking collars that wrap around your column.  I don't know how effective they are.  There's one on this page and  here's one on ebay.  I'm sure there's different ones too...or you could make one.
George

unklian

If the wrong person really wants it,
it's gone.

Plain and simple.

Get a column without a key lock in,mount the key lock somewhere else.