Cruise Control on the cheap

Started by Ohio Blue Tip, March 07, 2005, 01:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Blue Tip

Does anyone know of a good cruise control unit for a street rod?  The only one I've see of late, is Dakota Digital at $250, and that's a lot of $$$.  Naw, I don't need one. But I'm going to have one!  Must be something more economical.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

348tripower

Ken,
 This audivox was 100 bucks. It is a fairly small unit. It will run off magnets on the driveshaft, or a sender off the speedo outlet on the trans. I'll know more after the first road test.
Don

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"Does anyone know of a good cruise control unit for a street rod?  The only one I've see of late, is Dakota Digital at $250, and that's a lot of $$$.  Naw, I don't need one. But I'm going to have one!  Must be something more economical.
Don Colliau

enjenjo

I have an Audiovox in my Buick too, it works good so far.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"Does anyone know of a good cruise control unit for a street rod?  The only one I've see of late, is Dakota Digital at $250, and that's a lot of $$$.  Naw, I don't need one. But I'm going to have one!  Must be something more economical.

I have used two of the audiovox ($80.00 at Autozone) units and they work great.  I am trying to figure out how to adapt it to the factory controls but from what I have just read in the other post, Frank says it can not be done.  Audiovox also makes a fully electronic unit that cost a little more but Autozone does not stock them.  Do a web search and you will find out more.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

basically, if it's GM cruise, and it has a resume function, it will have 4 wires to the switch, and it can be adapted to the audiovox cruise. If there are three wires, and no resume, it won't work. Olds was the first GM car with a resume function, so you might be able to fit an Olds turn signal stalk to your column. Audiovox also shows some switches that can be adapted to most any column.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I've been running the Audiovox unit for 10 years without a hiccup.  I like the dash mount control.   I hooked the VSS lead to the tach connection on the HEI.  The only thing I notice that is different than an OEM is that it takes a second or so longer to react to changes I make.  That could be because I've got a little slop in the cable.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"The only thing I notice that is different than an OEM is that it takes a second or so longer to react to changes I make.  That could be because I've got a little slop in the cable.

I think I need to hook one of these up before I head east next month.  

George I found a site ( http://www.miata.net/garage/MiataCCS100.htm )  where a guy hooked one up and was having problems that sounded like your's and he changed the sensitivity switch and that helped:
Switches 4 & 5 set the unit's sensitivity (LOW for light vehicles with high HP, MEDIUM for most vehicles, or HIGH for low power/heavy vehicles

How big is that dash mounted switch?  How are YOU doing?

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

Quote from: "1FATGMC"George I found a site ( http://www.miata.net/garage/MiataCCS100.htm )  where a guy hooked one up and was having problems that sounded like your's and he changed the sensitivity switch and that helped:
Switches 4 & 5 set the unit's sensitivity (LOW for light vehicles with high HP, MEDIUM for most vehicles, or HIGH for low power/heavy vehicles

How big is that dash mounted switch?  How are YOU doing?

c ya, Sum
Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to try that when I get back on two feet.  

My foot is still swollen so I have to keep it elevated and I can't put any weight on it.  Dr doesn't want me on it for another 2 weeks.  I feel good tho...just want to do more than I can.  I'm real good on crutches now tho.  Lotsa time to plan the teardrop. :D

My cruise is over 10 years old so the switch was made to either clip onto the turn signal lever or flush mount somewhere.  I mounted it on an angle bracket under the dash.  The ones now look like they have a lot bigger switch.  Mine has DEC/SET, ACC/RES,  ON/OFF, and a light that shows when it's on.

Ken, Here's  the installation manual if you want more info about the Audiovox.

George

1FATGMC

They do look bigger now.  I like the size of the one you have.  I want to install it under the lip of the dash, but don't have much room there with the other things like the CB in that area.

I'd like a stalk one, but it looks as if they are quite a bit more.

Do what the doc says,

Sum

48ford

The unit now is 3/8 thick,1 1/4 tall,and 2" long, This is the audio vox from auto zone.
I have used the units on my diesal ford truck,the mach-1,and the 46 ford,never had a problem with any of them.
but i sure would like to use the stock unit on my g.m. tilt that is in the 46.
Russ&Irene

34ford

Ken,

I have a used Equus 9000a that has been sitting in a box in the shop for a long time. I had it on a ford van and something went wrong with it. Sent it in under warranty and they refurbished it and I never put it back on the van when I got it back cause I decided to buy a different van. I have all the instructions and parts for it. It works off of the inductive speed sensing from either a plug wire or with magnets on the drive shaft. I used the inductive one on the plug wire and it worked great. The switch looks just like the one George posted a picture of. The unit is about 4" square and 5" long. If you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping it to your place. Don't know what your putting it on but should work. Says in the instructions it works on gas, diesel, carburetor or fuel injected engines, automatic or standard transmissions and with overdrive.  Could post a pic for you or e-mail one to you. Can't get any cheaper than that.  :D  :D

bob

purplepickup

Quote from: "34ford"

Ken,

I have a used Equus 9000a ....The switch looks just like the one George posted a picture of.
bob
You know....you're right.  Mine is an Equus and not an Audiovox.  The brain is getting old. :?

Bob, check your PM's.
George

348tripower

Can the Audiovox be hooked up off the HEI? It looks to me by reading the instructions, you need the magnets and a distributor function. Am I wrong? It would be great to not have to use the magnet part.  
Don  

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've been running the Audiovox unit for 10 years without a hiccup.  I like the dash mount control.   I hooked the VSS lead to the tach connection on the HEI.  The only thing I notice that is different than an OEM is that it takes a second or so longer to react to changes I make.  That could be because I've got a little slop in the cable.
Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "348tripower"Can the Audiovox be hooked up off the HEI? It looks to me by reading the instructions, you need the magnets and a distributor function. Am I wrong? It would be great to not have to use the magnet part.  
Don  

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've been running the Audiovox unit for 10 years without a hiccup.  I like the dash mount control.   I hooked the VSS lead to the tach connection on the HEI.  The only thing I notice that is different than an OEM is that it takes a second or so longer to react to changes I make.  That could be because I've got a little slop in the cable.

Although the magnet seems a little goofy when you read the instructions,  it is not that big a deal.  You might be able to substitute some other pulse generator.  Seems like Ford had one in the middle of the speedometer cable.  Some units that use pulse as a trigger are pulse sensative.  Too many or two few pulses will cause the unit to malfunction.  I know the driveshaft/magnet installation works but other methods might also work.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "34ford"

Ken,

I have a used Equus 9000a that has been sitting in a box in the shop for a long time. I had it on a ford van and something went wrong with it. Sent it in under warranty and they refurbished it and I never put it back on the van when I got it back cause I decided to buy a different van. I have all the instructions and parts for it. It works off of the inductive speed sensing from either a plug wire or with magnets on the drive shaft. I used the inductive one on the plug wire and it worked great. The switch looks just like the one George posted a picture of. The unit is about 4" square and 5" long. If you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping it to your place. Don't know what your putting it on but should work. Says in the instructions it works on gas, diesel, carburetor or fuel injected engines, automatic or standard transmissions and with overdrive.  Could post a pic for you or e-mail one to you. Can't get any cheaper than that.  :D  :D

bob

Thanks Bob, that's in my price range!  It's going on a 34 Ford like the one in your avatar.
I'll send you a PM with my info.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken