spindles

Started by kb426, March 05, 2005, 09:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Does anyone know of a dimension chart for spindles that would assist  in changing from a 4 lug to five lug hub. I don't know what brand of 4 lug this is. If I had dimensions, this might be simple.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

You know what the bolt pattern is?, and maybe inner and outer bearing numbers?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'll measure and get the numbers later today.
TEAM SMART

kb426

The measurements from the spindle are inner diameter: 1.194, outer diameter: .749, length  from tip of threads to face of seal surface: 4.1 long. This is a cast dropped axle from the front of some light weight car. The 2 bearing numbers were 09074 and 15118. Both were Timken tapered.  The bolt pattern is 4 on 4.  Now I'm real curious as to what the axle is. It's under a coke trailer that a friend bought off ebay.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Is there a section in the center of the axle that is bent forward an inch or so? The bearing sizes are common sizes, I should be able to come up with something.

kb426

The axle looks like a small i-beam in the middle with rounded ends. It looked straight to me.The area that the brake backing plate bolted on had 4 holes. Looks like a model a that shrunk.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I have no idea what the axle is, but a 69 to 74 Toyota pickup front hub will fit it by using the original inner bearing, and the Toyota outer bearing. you may be able to use the original seal, but you might have to get one ID OD from an industrial catalog. The Toyota pickup is 5 by 4.5" bolt pattern.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have no idea what the axle is, but a 69 to 74 Toyota pickup front hub will fit it by using the original inner bearing, and the Toyota outer bearing. you may be able to use the original seal, but you might have to get one ID OD from an industrial catalog. The Toyota pickup is 5 by 4.5" bolt pattern.

Well, Frank, you did it again! :shock:

Please explain how you came up with this info.

Do you just cross reference the bearing dimensions?  ....Does the length of the spindle affect the hub selection, and if so, where do you find these dimensions?

Thanks for furthering my education!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Some of it is calculated by looking in the books, some is just educated guesses.  

The length of the spindle bolt, 4.1" puts it in the range of most small cars from the 60's and 70's, for some reason as they get newer, the spindles get shorter. A spindles are longer than V8 spindles, and V8 spindles are longer than F100 spindles. Same thing with GM and Mopar.

The bearing ID measurements are common for bearings in small cars from the 30's, same as model A, some Mopars and others. The outer bearing ID, .749", nominally .750" is nearly universal, about the only other size found is .875". And most bearings with an ID of .875" have a near twin with a .750" ID, so that usually isn't an issue.

The inner bearing ID he gave is 1.194", but the bearing shows an ID of 1.1895" in the books. There are no modern cars that use an inner bearing with that ID, even though it was pretty common in the 30's. So I went to the OD, which was 2.380, and found a 5 lug hub that used an inner bearing that was that diameter OD.

That gave me a hub that would fit, the seal is just a guess, sometimes the seal bore is the same as the bearing bore, sometimes it isn't, but industrial catalogs list seals by ID, OD, and width. You can usually find a seal there that will work.

If the hub is not quite the right length, a change of the nut, or extra washers, or a spacer on the spindle, will usually get you in the ball park.

Strange as it sounds, most bearings are metric, and have been since the 20's, even though the measurements are listed in inches. so the origin of the hub isn't a factor. Bearing loads, like Ujoint loads, and Spline shapes are standardised by the SAE, so the same specs are used world wide.

I used two books to find this hub, and I knew the bolt pattern of the hub from memory. I used a bearing application book, and a bearing specification book. Both in this case were CR, but any of them will work, the bearing numbers are universal.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"Some of it is calculated by looking in the books, some is just educated guesses.

Thank you, Sir!

......It must be nice to have a functioning memory!

I figured that was how you worked out the bearing sizes.  ...I just couldn't guess where the spindle length and bolt pattern were found, as I've never seen these in print.

I have been cross-referencing bearing numbers and sizes for many years.  ....Most people don't realize how many $$$ can be saved by buying bearings under industry numbers, instead of OEM part numbers!

Also, most people don't realize that there are very few bearings which are "specials" made to a certain OEM's specs.  ....Most manufacturers design around standard bearing sizes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

C9

Quote from: "enjenjo"The Toyota pickup is 5 by 4.5" bolt pattern.

Just curious here . . . could that bolt pattern be metric?

Reason I ask is a friend gave me a set of factory steel wheels off an 88 Chevy half ton.
I'd planned to use them on my tandem axle car trailer and went so far as to pull one tire/wheel combo off the trailer and slide the bare wheel onto the studs, but didn't bolt it on.
Looked like it fit ok so I had the tire shop swap the trailer tires to the new wheels.

When I tried to bolt the new wheel/tire combo on I found that the wheels were metric.
They slid on ok, but when one lugnut was snugged down, the wheel was offset to the extent that the remaining lugnuts would not properly seat.

Back to the tire shop . . . after muttering many bad words.... :?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

enjenjo

Nope, the Toyota lug pattern is imperial.