Ford Duraspark...again

Started by phat46, February 25, 2004, 08:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I tried posting this a few minutes ago, but i didn't see it come up, so forgive me if it posts twice.
I still can't get my Ford 429 to start. I have wired the start/ignition wiring according to the diagrams I have gotten. There is 12 volts at the coil, in both the start and run key positions, 12 volts at the key switch, starter relay and sparkbox. There is no spark at the plugs. I have tried a different coil. I have had someone else go over the diagrams and agree that it is wired correctly. This leads me to believe that the sparkbox may be bad; it worked fine in the donor truck several years ago when i removed the engine. does anyone know how, if it's possble, to test the Duraspark box? A new box is about $60, which I'd happily spend if i was sure it was gonna cure the problem, but I don't want to just throw parts at it if there's a better way. I really want to hear this thing with the open Limefire headers.

Darkman

Unless your GM Phobic with your Ford Engine and I would not fault you for that. Use a GM early HEI 4 pin electronic box. You can still use any coil. The late model Ford coil (looks like a transformer) is a good coil. The GM 4 pin is cheap about thirty dollars or just a few dollars at the U Pull It.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix/Engine/duraspark.htm
Charles in Pensacola

Restomodding at the speed of a slow sick snail.

Current project 1957 F100 312 4 bbl with automatic and McCulloch supercharger Mus II IFS and lowered rear

enjenjo

Yes it can be tested, I don't remember the proceedure, but a Motors manual has it in there. It has to do with checking continuity, and resistance several places. FWIW, my experience, good modules can check bad, but still work. Also check the pickup coil, too much resistance on the pickup coil can burn up the module.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

I got it started!  The 429 sounds awesome through the open Limefire pipes that stop right at the front edge of the doors!!!!
FRank, I checked the Motors manual about checking the Duraspark module, basically it said to replace with a known good box and if it started, the old one was bad...duh...
Darkman, I thought you were, uh, well, off base with the G.M module, but I found a diagram that showed how to wire one in...the guy at the parts store just shook his head when I told him what I wanted a G.M  four pin module for. The thing started so well that it startled me! (actually it scared the crap outta me)
Thanks for the help guys, now i'm stoked to drive the thing, lessee, brakes, radiator, shifter,  yup, next weekend  :D

jaybee

Quote from: "phat46"I got it started!  The 429 sounds awesome through the open Limefire pipes that stop right at the front edge of the doors!!!!

Nothing lights your fire like hearing fire in the pipes, does it?  I am SOO jealous!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

Nothing lights your fire like hearing fire in the pipes, does it?  I am SOO jealous![/quote]

LOL, my daughter said i should make a WAV file and post it...if only I knew how.

Darkman

Congartulations! There isn't anything to compare with hearing one fire off after all that work. Get your daughter to post the wav. I'd love to hear it.  :D
Charles in Pensacola

Restomodding at the speed of a slow sick snail.

Current project 1957 F100 312 4 bbl with automatic and McCulloch supercharger Mus II IFS and lowered rear

Anonymous

I'm glad you got it started! I know it's always a big moment when you hear a project car come to life the first time!

Just to let you know, the Auto Zone stores around here will check your ignition modules for free. They use a machine to do the test and they saved me money more than once before! Auto Zone is a nationwide chain store so there should be one by you for next time!

Congratulations on your success!

Sal

phat46

Quote from: "Evil Otto"I'm glad you got it started! I know it's always a big moment when you hear a project car come to life the first time!

Just to let you know, the Auto Zone stores around here will check your ignition modules for free. They use a machine to do the test and they saved me money more than once before! Auto Zone is a nationwide chain store so there should be one by you for next time!

Yup i found that out the day after i got the motor started, but I had pretty much found out by elimination that it was bad, and the G.M module was only $18 as compared to the Ford mod at $60!!! neat trick!

47wood

Glad you got it started ...nothing but nothing brings grins to the face of roddin' guys like that first "fire in the hole!"  Congrats :)
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "47wood"Glad you got it started ...nothing but nothing brings grins to the face of roddin' guys like that first "fire in the hole!"  Congrats :)

The first start up on my first project vehicle, my 50 f1 we put the movie camera on a tri pod and we just went about our business of checking wires and get power to the hei, the starter had problem turned out to be the momentary switch,  but if was humerous to see the tape after forgetting the camera was on and then firing it up with just the block huggers on and almost burning the rug under the truck etc etc. setting the timing and just running and jumping around like a bunch of kids. We now are driving it around and still get a thrill when all the windows are in and boy it will be nice when the bed in on and the flip open filler is welded in to the rear fender well.  Every step is exciting  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "47wood"Glad you got it started ...nothing but nothing brings grins to the face of roddin' guys like that first "fire in the hole!"  Congrats :)

The first start up on my first project vehicle, my 50 f1 we put the movie camera on a tri pod and we just went about our business of checking wires and get power to the hei, the starter had problem turned out to be the momentary switch,  but if was humerous to see the tape after forgetting the camera was on and then firing it up with just the block huggers on and almost burning the rug under the truck etc etc. setting the timing and just running and jumping around like a bunch of kids. We now are driving it around and still get a thrill when all the windows are in and boy it will be nice when the bed in on and the flip open filler is welded in to the rear fender well.  Every step is exciting  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe

Ed ke6bnl

1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe