Packrod Logos

Started by Leon, March 03, 2005, 03:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

I got some interesting items for the Packrod - Found a place that does waterjet on smaller jobs and had them cut some "Packrod" logos out of 1/8" steel. I did the artwork and emailed it to them and they cut them out for me. They look like the standard Packard logo except for the spelling.  I still need to weld some studs on the back, the small one will be a bit tricky, then polish them before sending out for chrome.

cre8tor

They look real trick,

QuoteI still need to weld some studs on the back, the small one will be a bit tricky

If you drop in to a sheetmetal shop some of them will have whats called a 'CD" welder capable of firing on very small threaded and non threaded studs with no reverse side marking. Very simple to put on something like that, fires on in a split second.
Just a thought.
Have a look here this will explain http://www.weldstud.com/ws.cd.process.shtml

Cheers ,

Mark

Leon

That looks like a good way to put the studs on.  I have a welder that puts pins on the body for pulling a panel dent out, like the stud gun that eastwood sells.  I'm modifying a spare tip to take some 4-40 threaded studs and will experiment on some scrap material.  If that doesn't work out I'll look for someone that can do CD welding.

purplepickup

How's the Packard project coming along Leon?  

Got any pics? :D
George

Leon

Quote from: "purplepickup"How's the Packard project coming along Leon?  

Got any pics? :D
George - Hope you're feeling better.  I just got a DVD today from PT2001 that has a good shot of you going past the camera car on the highway.  I've been making some progress on the Packrod, got the body back from Santa Ana where I had it dipped to strip it.  It got everything including the trunk!  I've made a new trunk floor and welded it in.  Made it better than stock since I was going to have to weld up the spare tire well anyway.  Also put in reinforcement for the power trunk opener.  I still have a couple spots to clean up on the main floor before I undercoat it and get it back on the frame for the final time.  Once it's back on the frame I can do the bodywork.  I have some shots of the progress on http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/Packardcons.html
We going to see you on PT this year?  I believe we are going to do some kind of get-together in Springfield on Sunday.
Leon

purplepickup

Man, you've really been busy.  That's going to be a nice cruiser when it's done.  A guy near me did a '48 big block pro-street Packard a few years ago.  He lost control in a rain storm in Colorado and it rolled but either because of the shape or the heavy metal, he got out, shook it off, and drove it back to Michigan.  When he put it back on the road it wasn't pro-streeted. :lol:

I see on your website that you bought a '58 Field & Stream travel trailer to restore.  It looks like its in real good shape.  I don't know if you're going to change it much but there's a pretty good forum called Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers where there's a good mix of people building and restoring teardrops and trailers.  I've picked up some pretty good ideas and sources for parts there.

I just got that American Hot Rod DVD in the mail today and when I opened it I see a picture of my truck on the liner.  I haven't watched it yet.  I've been following the posts on the Power Tour Club but I can't post there for some reason.  I'm going to try to at least do part of Power Tour this year....probably from Milwaukee to Indy.

Oh, by the way, congratulations on Johnny Lightning making a model of your Torino. 8)
George

Leon

Quote from: "purplepickup"
I see on your website that you bought a '58 Field & Stream travel trailer to restore.  It looks like its in real good shape.
The trailer ended up being totally rotted out so I'm going to keep the frame and some of the stuff in it and do a teardrop with a '58 registration.

QuoteI just got that American Hot Rod DVD in the mail today and when I opened it I see a picture of my truck on the liner.  I haven't watched it yet.
Sharon and I are in it 6 times if you include the 2 times I could spot myself taking pictures at the burnouts in Tulsa at the Moose Lodge.  I really miss that trip even though it almost ruined my back.
QuoteI'm going to try to at least do part of Power Tour this year....probably from Milwaukee to Indy.
As time gets closer we'll plan something as far as a get-together.  Denise said she would be joining up in Springfield and going to Indy, Mike and Mary will be in Milwaukee going west so we'll see them there, plus Garry from down under is going along with some of the regulars.  Should be good.
QuoteOh, by the way, congratulations on Johnny Lightning making a model of your Torino. 8)
We're pretty happy with that, it's up on the wall next to the magazine features on the T.  I will be doing autographs on the tour  :lol:

purplepickup

I just watched the Route 66 dvd  and what great memories that stirred up :D   It was well worth the $5.99.   I'm glad they chose that year to make a movie.  I think he captured a good mix of what it was like to be a Power Tour "long hauler"....cool cars, burnouts, wierd people, camaraderie.  It took me about 3 hours to watch it because I kept hitting the pause button and reversing to see people I knew.  

It might be one of those movies that you had to be there to understand some parts of.  Every once in a while Sue would say "What the heck was that all about?"

It made me itch to hit the road again. 8)
George