Quadrajet fuel pressure

Started by 41woodie, February 27, 2005, 07:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Ok, the Quadrajunk on my '54 Pontiac breathed it's last I just installed a rebuilt. I didn't rebuild the old one because it was missing all of the divorced choke mechanism including the choke plate.  Amazingly it started easy and ran well until it started leaking like a seive.  
The Pontiac has an electric fuel pump due to clearance problems around the mechanical pump location and I think that part of the flooding problem stemmed from excessive fuel pressure. There isn't a regulator on the line.  Can anyone get me in the ball park as far as correct fuel pressure for a quadrajet, I'm pretty convinced that a regulator is needed to prevent the problem I was having. Thanks, MH

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "41woodie"Ok, the Quadrajunk on my '54 Pontiac breathed it's last I just installed a rebuilt. I didn't rebuild the old one because it was missing all of the divorced choke mechanism including the choke plate.  Amazingly it started easy and ran well until it started leaking like a seive.  
The Pontiac has an electric fuel pump due to clearance problems around the mechanical pump location and I think that part of the flooding problem stemmed from excessive fuel pressure. There isn't a regulator on the line.  Can anyone get me in the ball park as far as correct fuel pressure for a quadrajet, I'm pretty convinced that a regulator is needed to prevent the problem I was having. Thanks, MH

Curious that your old one didn't do the same.
I'd start around 5psi.
Also check that the float actually 'floats'.  These get pin holes and will sink after running for while.