69 Camino disks

Started by lowgrape, February 26, 2005, 02:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowgrape

Hey all
I would like to do a front disk conversion on a 69 El Camino. Does anyone know which disks & spindles would work?
Thanks

58Apache

Hi, there are several options, but I only know about them from reading about them, and doing one of them myself.

I found most of my sources of information at www.chevelles.com   Depending  on where you live, there may be a local Chevelle/El Camino club with guys that can help you even further.

I have a 69 Chevelle Malibu myself and put on 1993 spindles off a Caprice. Then I got new rotors for a 1LE (Special racing version) of a Camaro that are 12 inch discs. The calipers from the same camaro are what I put on, rebuilt, and got the rotors new and the rebuilt calipers from the local auto parts store. I had to get a few special parts for the steering, but it had to be rebuilt anyway, so I just asked for the different parts.

The 10 inch discs were available on the SS396 Chevelles and El Caminos. You could probably get them over the counter if you tried. But since I was changing over from drum to disc, I figured I might as well "go big".

I bought an aftermarket 7 inch power booster and got the master cylinder that Enjenjo recommended.

Steve

Charlie Chops 1940

I think  all of the Chevelle body disc pieces through 72 will work, and the other GM clones GTO, LeMans, etc But there are some differemces with some of the GTO and 442 versions that had 4 piston calipers - similar to Corvette but not the same.  I believe the Novas and their clones will also work through 74. Of course there are kits out there with new stuff since a lot of these donor cars are gone now.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

model a vette

The 4 piston calipers were used in '67-'68. The '69 Camaros with 4 wheel disc brakes used 4 piston vette calipers. Everything else (except vettes) used single piston calipers '69 & up. You should be able to use everything from any "A" body GM to '72, '69 Camaros & Firebirds and as mentioned Novas & clones to '74.  I assume you know that the spindles are different between drums and discs. The difference is that the large upper casting bump is shorter on disc brake spindles. You can machine the bump shorter if you can get specs.
There are some cheap brackets available from a site called Scarebird.com. I think they bolt to unmodified drum brake spindles.
Ed

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "model a vette"The 4 piston calipers were used in '67-'68. The '69 Camaros with 4 wheel disc brakes used 4 piston vette calipers. Everything else (except vettes) used single piston calipers '69 & up. You should be able to use everything from any "A" body GM to '72, '69 Camaros & Firebirds and as mentioned Novas & clones to '74.  I assume you know that the spindles are different between drums and discs. The difference is that the large upper casting bump is shorter on disc brake spindles. You can machine the bump shorter if you can get specs.
There are some cheap brackets available from a site called Scarebird.com. I think they bolt to unmodified drum brake spindles.

Chevy II's had a disc option in 66/67 with small 4 pistion calipers, 67/68 Firebirds  had a big 4 piston. Vettes were in between in size. GM did s great family brake job but deviated from that plan in the early disc days.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

model a vette

"Chevy II's had a disc option in 66/67 with small 4 pistion calipers, 67/68 Firebirds  had a big 4 piston. Vettes were in between in size. GM did s great family brake job but deviated from that plan in the early disc days.

Charlie"

I just checked my old catalogs. It apears that the disc brake option for Chevy IIs started in 1967 as it did with "A" and "F" body cars. The calipers were actually very similar to the Corvette ones. They were 4 piston and had the same size pistons. They were subject to the same leaking problems that vettes had with 4 piston calipers. I sleeved my vette calipers with stainless steel after fighting leaks for years.
Ed

Charlie Chops 1940

That's what I did with all the variety of 4 piston GM calipers. That always seemed to so;ve the problem or near;y so. The design of the seals was poor I always thought. But easy to work with.

Charlie

A Hooligan!