HF product review...

Started by Jbird, February 23, 2005, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

Last sunday I stopped by Harbor Freight to check out the vehicle dollies they had on sale. $80.00 for four dollies rated at 1000lbs each. I knew I couldn't make them for that , so I bought a set. I assembled them and oiled them up. Today I set the 70 Challenger on them to slide it out of harms way. I could not budge the car. I rotated each caster so all sixteen were aimed in the direction I was pushing, still couldn't budge it. I even tried a long 2X4 as a lever. I gave up, took the car off the dollies and shoved it out of the way, wasn't all that hard to move. Tomorrow I'm going back to HF and get a refund. I'd sure like to find a good set of dollies for a reasonable price. OK, now I'll stop bitcxen.
         Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

58 Yeoman

I bought four dollies at Big Lots a year or so ago for $70.  They have steel wheels, and I can move my big Poncho around the garage pretty well by myself.  It does take a good push to get it moving, though.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "Jbird"Last sunday I stopped by Harbor Freight to check out the vehicle dollies they had on sale. $80.00 for four dollies rated at 1000lbs each. I knew I couldn't make them for that , so I bought a set. I assembled them and oiled them up. Today I set the 70 Challenger on them to slide it out of harms way. I could not budge the car. I rotated each caster so all sixteen were aimed in the direction I was pushing, still couldn't budge it. I even tried a long 2X4 as a lever. I gave up, took the car off the dollies and shoved it out of the way, wasn't all that hard to move. Tomorrow I'm going back to HF and get a refund. I'd sure like to find a good set of dollies for a reasonable price. OK, now I'll stop bitcxen.
         Jbird 8)

oil the wheels first.
trust me....
i've got a set and they wouldn't move either untill i oiled 'em
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Okiedokie

I have a set from Harbor freight that I roll my 46 Ford coupe and my 53 F100 around on. It does require some effort . For $80.00, I am happy.

wvcab

Quote from: "Jbird"Last sunday I stopped by Harbor Freight to check out the vehicle dollies they had on sale. $80.00 for four dollies rated at 1000lbs each. I knew I couldn't make them for that , so I bought a set. I assembled them and oiled them up. Today I set the 70 Challenger on them to slide it out of harms way. I could not budge the car. I rotated each caster so all sixteen were aimed in the direction I was pushing, still couldn't budge it. I even tried a long 2X4 as a lever. I gave up, took the car off the dollies and shoved it out of the way, wasn't all that hard to move. Tomorrow I'm going back to HF and get a refund. I'd sure like to find a good set of dollies for a reasonable price. OK, now I'll stop bitcxen.
         Jbird 8)
i bought a set.... and now use 14" wheels layed on there sides, and set a  motor in them.... great motor dollys....

Beck

I made a couple of sets before they were the rage. I used the front wheels from shopping carts for the casters and angle iron for the frames. It takes a lot to get the car moving with them also. The oil does help. When all else fails I do like you said and point all the wheels in the direction I want to go. They seem to have a mind of their own once it starts to roll. At least it goes kind of the right direction.
Beck

Jbird

Upon further inspection I found two dollies had a wheel each rubbing on the caster frame. The axle hole for the wheel isn't very well centered in relation to the wheels outside diameter so the wheels don't roll true. I might see if I can find sixteen good wheels for cheap. Ya get what ya pay for.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance