Hood latch

Started by Pep, February 21, 2005, 01:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pep

I posted this on the HRI site, but I think I may need further input..here is my problem..
I have grafted a tail gate latch to act as my hood latch. Turned out rather well. I was about to start fabricating up a secondary latch like most cars have but now wonder if its necessary. The tail gate latch has the 2 position latch just like door latches, so is there any legal requirement for it. Am I missing something.? I could save myself a lot of work and avoid cluttering up the area around the latch if I don't have to. I gather its the same as the burst proof bear claw latches and probably a lot stronger than the standard hood latch. I have pics of it on my web site in the February update...thanks in advance
See Ya
Pep

Stakebed

Having had the experience of a hood coming open at 70, with no safety catch, I would vote you put one on. I am assuming your hood opens in the front? I'm guessing the time to fabricate one would be a lot less than repair time if it came loose at speed.     Just my opinion but I wouldn't run a front opening hood without one.

Beck

Quote from: "Pep"I posted this on the HRI site, but I think I may need further input..here is my problem..
I have grafted a tail gate latch to act as my hood latch. Turned out rather well. I was about to start fabricating up a secondary latch like most cars have but now wonder if its necessary. The tail gate latch has the 2 position latch just like door latches, so is there any legal requirement for it. Am I missing something.? I could save myself a lot of work and avoid cluttering up the area around the latch if I don't have to. I gather its the same as the burst proof bear claw latches and probably a lot stronger than the standard hood latch. I have pics of it on my web site in the February update...thanks in advance

I sold a '35 Ford to a guy several years ago. It was a driver but unfinished. I had a fiberglass 3 piece hood made for the car, but the hood top wasn't installed. He took it home and made up the brackets and latch. Off he went to a show. As he was driving down the highway and about to meet the first semi he realized "This ain't gonna hold!" As the semi went past the hood lifted. It cleared the windshield and roof. (The top chop helped!) He marked the spot on the road. One the way home from the show he stopped. He found the hood top 8 rows out in the corn field, unhurt. He loaded it up and took it home to do it right. Then he put a killer paint job on the car and it made centerfold of one of the big magazines, (with the hood that blew off).
Beck

enjenjo

I've lost a couple hoods myself, one fiberglass, no safety latch, handmade a couple weeks work, destroyed in a flash. The second, also no safety latch, wasn't hurt, and actually fit better afterwards. I'd run some type of safety catch myself.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.