Well now ive gone and done it.

Started by metha, February 19, 2005, 12:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metha

Oooops! I got a hold of a car a Plymouth Coupe -41...got the car for free and just need to pay the transport, taxes etc etc to get it into old cold Sweden (~$2800). Buying it in sweden would cost me 10000 dollars minimum probably more. I have little or no info about the car...well i have two pictures...

That's it the plan is to make it into a real low profile rod. No scoop or sidepipes just some mild bodywork and a bucketload of horsepowers. The engine of choice will be a CSB 350. Since the car will arrive in June/July ill be building the engine and some other things while waiting.

Now for the question: where can i find info on this car ?....it's my first build and my first V8 at 24 years of age ive only worked with old volvos and Opels....Any tips for information is appriciated.

rooster

Should make a cool rod! I dont know of anyone doing one right now, try searching archives for old mopars. It looks solid! Keep us informed of progress.

enjenjo

What kind of info you looking for? The Plymouth and Dodge cars 40 to 48 are all basically the same chassis. You can find some pictures at www.carnut.com
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moparrodder

Quote from: "metha"
Now for the question: where can i find info on this car ?....it's my first build and my first V8 at 24 years of age Any tips for information is appriciated.

If you need to find some parts try Andy Bernbaum  at www.oldmoparts.com     or write to PLYDO  Rt.1, box 277-B    Delbarton, WV.     25670    or any of the parts suppliers found in any of the rod magazines  most have some parts for mopars that will update your frame and suspension.   I'm working on a 40   2dr but why don't you be different and keep it all mopar?  You can make some serious horse power with mopar motors,  anyone can drop in a  sbc  into something but it takes a hard core rodder to keep it all MOPAR.  Ya just have to look a little closer to find the right stuff!!     I'm having a blast finding all the goodies that I need for mine  and it's all mopar.  It just takes a little foot work to find and get it.    
    Good luck with your new project!!  It'll turn out reall cool!!! 8)

Bill

Mac

Congradulations. I love Mopars from the 40's. My earliest family car memory is of a `48 Plym sedan.

A Mopar drive train would be cool but I guess you have all you can do just getting a pedestrian SBC there in Sveedin.

BTW: my first ride and the one responsible for my initiation into wrenchcraft was a `59 PV544 Volvo.

Here's a pic of a chopped `48 (I think) Coupe in sled trim.
Who\'s yer Data?

metha

Quotewhy don't you be different and keep it all mopar? You can make some serious horse power with mopar motors, anyone can drop in a sbc into something but it takes a hard core rodder to keep it all MOPAR.
A
QuoteMopar drive train would be cool but I guess you have all you can do just getting a pedestrian SBC there in Sveedin.

Just got off the phone with an old friend...he is driving bracket dragracing with a mopar....he said he would do horrible things to me if i dropped a CSB into that thing :p . He can probably help me get parts and knowledge for a mopar drivetrain. And yes it would be a lot cooler to mke it all Mopar.

Thanks for that link he had loads of stuff. What i am most curious over is what rearaxle to use and if i can rebuild the suspension into a 4 link system. Since i need to pay about 2$/$ when importing from the US im on a fairly tight budget and parts scavenging in Sweden is kinda hard.

QuoteBTW: my first ride and the one responsible for my initiation into wrenchcraft was a `59 PV544 Volvo.

Rebuilding the floor and rear fenders on my 1970 Volvo 142 atm, got it from my grandpa when he passed away so im the second owner. This car has never failed to start a long as iv had it. -40 C no engineheater...choke, turn key, brabrom. It'l run on 2-3 cylinders the first 5-10 minutes but eventally it'l come around and run like a dream :)

enjenjo

A 60's Mopar B body rear is a near bolt in, modified shock brackets is all that is needed. Might be able to find one of those over there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

swedester

where in sweden are you located?I might help you out some if you need mopar stuff.
HEMI! :twisted:

metha

North 100km from Umeå. But this project has been delayed. The guy that was getting it to sweden started making up loads of strange "fees" so i cancelled the deal and right now im holding off a little.

swedester

wouldn´t be kent hortlund,would it?I´ve seen he advertised about "free" cars

metha

Yeah, he said around 20k swedish and then when i told him i was interested it jumped to 35k. Ive heard lots of good things about him so im not gonna complain about him yet. But im holding off on this car a while. Have an El Camino in my sight atm, hopefully ill be the owner in June/July :-)

swedester

yea,I asked about a car years ago,then it would be like 25k,and I knew I could arrange the freight on my own for 12k.

metha

I am going to try to find a similar car somewhere near Virginia. Got people there that can arrange the transport for around 8000 +fees in sweden and then i will have the car LOADED with parts from summit :-D

metha

Well it seems i will go ahead with this project after all. Got the prize down to the original level and found a Mopar dealer 250km from my home!!!

The good thing is i have been offered to take two cars instead of one! This wil cost about 1000$ more but im thinking it is worth it :)

swedester

go for it,two is better than one.