Still looking for a 29 model A rear- will a 66 mustang work

Started by john zemba, February 17, 2005, 12:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john zemba

Found a 66 mustang in some snow and weeds, can see the complete rear yet but the drums have 4 bolts should I pursue? He also had a regal and olds cutlass in the late 70's or early 80's  that looked good  Any thoughts

GaryR

With four wheel studs, the car was a 6-cylinder and the rear was most likely a 7.5-inch. If it has a rear inspection cover like the GM rears or the current Ford 8.8 rears, it is a 7.5-inch unit.  If it has a removable third member it is an 8-inch rear.  The 7.5-inch rears are too weak to be of any use.

Gary
Some day, maybe I\'ll think of something witty, \'til then, this is the best I could do!

john zemba

Quote from: "GaryR"With four wheel studs, the car was a 6-cylinder and the rear was most likely a 7.5-inch. If it has a rear inspection cover like the GM rears or the current Ford 8.8 rears, it is a 7.5-inch unit.  If it has a removable third member it is an 8-inch rear.  The 7.5-inch rears are too weak to be of any use.

Gary
Thanks Gary that saves me from jacking it up and cutting it out for nothing

rooster

If you know what width you are looking for Enjenjo's page may be of great help.  http://www.enjenjo.com/

Fat Cat

Quote from: "john zemba"Found a 66 mustang in some snow and weeds, can see the complete rear yet but the drums have 4 bolts should I pursue? He also had a regal and olds cutlass in the late 70's or early 80's  that looked good  Any thoughts

Like Gary said the 4 lug rears are most likely a Salisbury type housing which means the center section of the rearend is not removable. The gears are replaced by removing them from the back. The Ford rear ends of the this type from the 60's are very anemic at best. Given the choices you have presented I would suggest the 80's Gm rear. Either would be fine as the Regal and Cutlass are built on the exact same platform so they have the same rearend on both cars. But the down side is that the GM rears are going to have a much higher gear in them something in the 2.70-2.90 range. Good for highway use but not for performance. If you can find one that had a overdrive trans in it that will have a better performance gear. Something around 3.20-3.50 gear.

You could also look at the S-10 for rearends as well but I am not sure how the width will work for you.

brianangus

I hava an S10 rearend under the roadster pickup A that I am building (full fendered) and it seems to be a perfect width.