1935/40 Reproduction Frame Rails

Started by 40, February 16, 2005, 07:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well.....my buddy didn't buy the 37 project that I mentioned in a previous post...Soooo...I did!! Like I NEED another project  :roll: Anyway,I have decided to sell the complete chassis that is under the car and build one from scratch.I want to start out with a set of new,boxed,frame rails....Anyone have a preferance as to brand or a reputable supplier.Most everyone wants to sell me a perimeter frame but I have my own idea of what I want for a center section and will use a Heidts Superide IFS.Thanks!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Beck

Quote from: "40"Well.....my buddy didn't buy the 37 project that I mentioned in a previous post...Soooo...I did!! Like I NEED another project  :roll: Anyway,I have decided to sell the complete chassis that is under the car and build one from scratch.I want to start out with a set of new,boxed,frame rails....Anyone have a preferance as to brand or a reputable supplier.Most everyone wants to sell me a perimeter frame but I have my own idea of what I want for a center section and will use a Heidts Superide IFS.Thanks!

I think the best bet would be to buy a perimeter frame with the superride already installed up front. I don't think you can save any money setting it up yourself can you? Most of the frame suppliers will put any suspension type you want on. I have been happy with Pete and Jakes stuff. I have one of their frames under my 32 project. It has a Heidts Superide on the front of it, all done at Pete and Jakes.
Beck

btrc

Daryle,
  Looks like this is really going to be a busy year with the all the projects and the business.  What's our ideas for the frame?  As you know that's my favorite part of a rod.

Bob
Bob

C9

Don't some of the street rod builders/manufacturers build up a stock frame as per customer wishes and then require a core frame to be turned in?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

I have thought about going the "perimeter frame" route but I have used several aftermarket frames in the past and have found that most of the "X" members are not designed very well and it is difficult to get the exhaust thru etc. A young friend of mine built a jig table to do 32 frames and is in the process of building one to do 35-40 frames.He is a welder by profession and wants to build chassis as a hobby/partime business.I like the look of the round-tube x-members but most out there seem to use 1" or 1- 1/8" tube,I want to use heavier stock and design it to accomadate getting the exhaust neatly up between the frame rails.He just finished a 32 chassis that really was impressive including a hand-built polished stainless rear end.Nothing against the reputable shops that have been in business for years,I just prefer to support a young local guy who is trying to get a start.

couper

Daryle, I'd call Jason at Pete & Jakes down in Peculiar, Missouri, (a few miles south of KC) I've been through their frame shop a few times and it's a quality operation. I'll bet they've got what you are after. My impression was its a first rate first class shop.
I don't have the number handy, but it's easy to find on Google if you don't already have it.
Lance

rumrumm

You might also give Chassis Engineering a call in West Branch, Iowa. People speak highly of their products and customer service.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Just drove over 500 miles to pick up a pair of rails for the 37 project.They wanted over $200 to ship them 260 miles....I'm a cheap * and the prediction was for rain all day...so,I decided to drive out and get them.They were supposed to have rails from 3 differant manafacturers in stock...when I got there,all they had was 1 pair of "Just -a-Hobby" rails. :roll: To say the least,I was very dissappointed and not at all impressed with the frame rails.They appeared to be constructed from light gauge metal and were missing many of the factory mounting holes...in my opinion,worth nowhere near the $1400 price tag!At least they didn't get wet and rust sticking out of the back of my truck on the way home :wink:
  Lynn,I have used lots of stuff from Jim at Chassis Engineering over the years but they don't build chassis any longer or sell the rails.
   Lance,My first call Monday morning will be to Pete & Jakes!!

awsum34

Daryle. Pete and Jakes give them a call. I can run over there if you want. of call KCTOM he lives not to far from them. there about 15 minutes from me.
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

Thanks Rick....I plan on phoning them in the morning.Depending on what I find out,I may be heading that direction.If I end up driving down after them,perhaps we could hook up for lunch if you're that close.I'll let you know what I come up with.