Todays mission...

Started by 41woodie, February 16, 2005, 09:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Ok, got the choke straightened out on the pickup, so today I'm going to tackle the quadrajet on the Pontiac.  It's either so rich that the engine is choking down and dying or it's leaking pretty bad.  Either way it's time to either pitch it in the trash or fix it.  Do quads have a reputation as leakers?I've always had pretty good luck with Performers since there are no gaskets below the fuel level.  Anybody have an opinion on Quadrajets?

sirstude

They are not a bad carb, but have 2 flaws.  The jet well in the bottom of the main casting can develop a leak, and the float absorbs gas and sinks.  The fix there is to replace the float when you ribuild it.  If you don't, while you are cleaning up the carb and rebuilding it, the float will dry out and work fine for a few days or so until it soaks up the gas and all of a sudden you are in a flooding situation.  Many years ago, I rebuilt the same quadrajet 3 times before I found out the problem.  It would work good for a few days or a week and then flood out.  Luckly it was on my own truck instead of a customers car.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us