BMW repair sites?

Started by GPster, February 16, 2005, 07:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

This is another one of those neighbor questions but this is because I want to help him,not that he asked. 1984 BMW 735I (I think that's right , but it's close). Would like to find a site that we can look at parts/arrangement/function of the front of the engine. This thing has about 150,000 mile and is decent shape. It developed a squeeky sound at the front of the engine and 1st thought was the water pump. after 2 months and 3 tries he finally got the correct pump (parts people problem, not his). When he got the pump changed, he thought that was it. Driving around the block it started again. It's an intermittent sound but it keep you from wanting to take any trips (100 miles?) in it. This is an OHC engine. Need to find out if there is some type of timing system tensioner that might be going bad. There is just so much on the front of this engine and none of this stuff appeared to be the cause. We're looking to see what is hidden and don't want to tear it down just to find it.  GPster

rooster

You might check the belt tension and/or look for a gladded spot on it ! Check each device for a rough bearing. I just replaced a belt that was sometimes making noise, the belt was good but just streched.

av8

With the engine running, and the squeek present, give each of the accessory-drive belts a shot of WD-40 on each side. Even a slight amount of glazing can cause a correctly tensioned belt to squeek. The sound occurs as the belt leaves a sheave. Remedy is belt replacement.

GPster

It seems that what looks like a viscose drive fan is just a free-wheeling fan bolted to an aluminum finned hub assembley. The noise was coming from this and when we removed the whole thing the engine sound brand new. It seems that part of getting the right water pump is that it must have been changed sometime before and the fan and hub was changed too. The pump is supposed to be for a '77 or '78  not the '84 that the engine is. Now we'll  try to find out if it's rebuildable or needs to be replaced whole (or if there's enough room to get an after-market electric fan in there). But he's gotten your worl to change the belts. GPster