Question about '52 Chevy pickup radio speaker grille...

Started by My52Chebby, February 15, 2005, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

... I've noticed that Brothers are now selling (producing?) a repopped speaker grille c/w ashtray for the '47 to '53 Chevy pickup dashboards.

Can anyone tell me (preferably someone who has purchased one of these) if the grille portion/ashtray is made of stainless steel. I know that the upper name plate and lower trim are stainless steel but I'm not sure about the grille portion/ashtray.

I'd like to purchase one of these units and have the grille portion/ashtray polished.

Thank you all for your help.

My52Chebby

Bruce Dorsi

If you don't get an answer here, you could try asking the vendor.  

They should know what they are selling.  ...Well, if not, they SHOULD! :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

My52Chebby

... At least I asked them on their message board. A Brothers staff person did answer me. Here is what I asked there followed by the answer.

Is the new repopped '47 Chevy speaker grille/ash tray ALL stainless steel or just the upper and lower speaker grille trim? The reason I ask is, will the grille portion have to be chromed? Obviously, if it's stainless steel I would just polish it to match the rest of the unit.

And this is the answer I got...

Yes they are made of stainless .

The ambiguity arises from my not knowing whether he was just acknowledging that the upper and lower grille trim were stainless steel. What I would have liked to have read is : "Yes, the grille portion is also stainless steel (...but painted black in the picture for marketing purposes.)"

My52Chebby

Quote from: "My52Chebby"... At least I asked them on their message board. A Brothers staff person did answer me. Here is what I asked there followed by the answer.

Is the new repopped '47 Chevy speaker grille/ash tray ALL stainless steel or just the upper and lower speaker grille trim? The reason I ask is, will the grille portion have to be chromed? Obviously, if it's stainless steel I would just polish it to match the rest of the unit.

And this is the answer I got...

Yes they are made of stainless .

The ambiguity arises from my not knowing whether he was just acknowledging that the upper and lower grille trim were stainless steel. What I would have liked to have read is : "Yes, the grille portion is also stainless steel (...but painted black in the picture for marketing purposes.)"

Hi all,

I have since purchased one of these repopped speaker grilles and as I suspected, only the upper and lower trim pieces are stainless, the actual grille is plain steel.

A very nice product, but definitely NOT stainless. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't GM actually produce these in stainless for certain years?

My52Chebby

enjenjo

Yes, some of them are all stainless, with most of it painted. My 53 is all steel, with the top and bottom chrome.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.