348/409 Chevy parts needed.

Started by 47convert, February 15, 2005, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

Seems like the classified section is down. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on some parts I need for my coupe. I need an oil pan and timing chain cover for a 348 or 409 Chevy motor. This is for my Hot Rod, so I'm not concerned about numbers correct stuff. Sure would appreciate any leads.

58Apache

I'm kinda keeping an eye half open for a 3 duece manifold & carbs myself for my 348, but money is tight right now, so I hope I find it later rather than sooner.

When I went to talk to a machine shop about rebuilding my 348, they looked in their books and found every part needed available new. I wonder if the local speed or machine shop can order them for you?

I' know there's a couple of 348-409 web sites out there and they both sell parts and have a forum section, but it's bene a long time since I looked on there.

One of the web sites is www.348-409.com   a quick search of Jegs turned up some 409 parts as well.

I just made contact with a guy that picked up at a swap meet last weekend an Edlebrock manifold that he says was made for 6 dueces for a 348-409. I'm not sure I'd use something like that, but I'll bet its rare.

Steve

47convert

I've been keeping a eye on the 348 website too. Our rebuilders can find all the rebuild stuff, but no luck with the sheetmetal parts I need. There are a couple of tripower intakes in their classified section right now. One with and one without carbs.

river1

don't know the cost but a quick search found an oil pan

http://www.stefs.com/4.htm

and a timing cover on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7953081061&category=46098

might try the bay for the oil pan also

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Curly

Quote from: "47convert"Seems like the classified section is down. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on some parts I need for my coupe. I need an oil pan and timing chain cover for a 348 or 409 Chevy motor. This is for my Hot Rod, so I'm not concerned about numbers correct stuff. Sure would appreciate any leads.

The oil pan is different for a 348 and 409. Dipstick location...truck pan is different from a car pan.  The drain plug location is at the lowest point on the truck pan and if you have a lowered car with a truck pan watch your clearance.

As far as 3 deuce 348 manifolds I usually run across 3-4 a year at local swapmeets. I'll start buying them now that there seems to be an interest in them. I carried one around for 3 years to the swaps (1959) Bought it for $40.00 and had a hard time selling it for $40.00!!! No stripped holes, cracks or welds and all the studs included.

Carbs can be a different story...centers are easy to find and ends are tough to find. But wait...Speedy Bill comes to the rescue....now that Speedway makes a kit to convert two Rochester 2GC's to end carbs and you run a stock 2GC for the center carb all is well...just make sure you get the small base 2GC with the large venturi.

47convert

Thanx - I know the pans are different - but since it's not a numbers car ('34 Ford coupe) it doesn't really matter to me. Good info on the drain hole location.