Electric Choke

Started by 41woodie, February 12, 2005, 10:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Ok, how bout a bit of help.  I run an Edelbrock Performer on my pickup and have been wrestling the electric choke all winter.  Is there a rule of thumb or whatever for adjusting an electric choke.  Right now all I can get out of the thing is a lot of coughing and burping when I accelerate. On a rare day in the 50's or 60's (temp not decades) It's fine after well warmed up.  I thought that you should be able to pump the gas once, which should set the choke closed.  Then after starting, the heat coil in the choke body would warm up and open the choke. But I don't seem to be able to find a starting point that will allow this to happen.  Either the choke never opens or never closes.  Any thoughts

enjenjo

They sometimes take a bit of tinkering to get them to work, I set mine on a cool day, and enrichen it just enough that the choke blade will just barely close. Then you can do the final adjusatment from there as needed. That should be pretty close though.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

41woodie

Quote from: "enjenjo"They sometimes take a bit of tinkering to get them to work, I set mine on a cool day, and enrichen it just enough that the choke blade will just barely close. Then you can do the final adjusatment from there as needed. That should be pretty close though.

That proves that I don't know what the heck I'm doing.  When you say "just barely close"  are you closing it by hand or ??  If that is what you mean I guess then that I should turn it to fully lean then turn it back until it closes itself or can be forced shut.

enjenjo

Turn it to lean, and then to rich, just barely enough to close the choke blade. Then after trying it, adjust it from there, one notch at a time. FWIW, this choke setup is not real sophisticated, so until the engine is warmed up, you can't go WOT, without a stumble. There is just not enough adjustability there. Another thing, if you set it too rich, you may have trouble restarting it when it's partially warmed up. It took tinkering with it a couple days to get my Ford setup to start and idle good cold with an Edelbrock carb, but once it was set, it has not been a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.