Wing Tanks that need a lift.........

Started by 1FATGMC, February 11, 2005, 03:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Benny (Dusty) found the two wing tanks in the pictures in SE Texas.  He can get them at a good price, but we have found that shipping to Utah would be way expensive.

Is anyone from that area going to the NSRA show in Oaklahoma City in April?  He said he could get them part way there.  If I could get them up there or someplace near I40 or I44 I could get them back to Utah.  I'm welling go pay for some of this I just can't afford what the trucking companys want.

The tanks are about 12 feet long and about 2 feet in daimeter and weigh about 100 lb. each.

I appreciate any help on this anyone can give me.

Thanks,  Sum

More Lakester Construction

tomslik

hey sum, if you need/can get 'em closer or if somebody is coming my way(denver area), i can store 'em for a while if needed.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Beck

Quote from: "tomslik"hey sum, if you need/can get 'em closer or if somebody is coming my way(denver area), i can store 'em for a while if needed.

I'd like to store one at my place too! (Forever!).
I've been talking to Sum too much. He gave me the salt bug, and I can't get my mind off of it. The biggest problem with that is Sum and I like the same class. We would be competing against each other for that spot in the record book.

Beck

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "tomslik"hey sum, if you need/can get 'em closer or if somebody is coming my way(denver area), i can store 'em for a while if needed.

I've been talking to Sum too much. He gave me the salt bug, and I can't get my mind off of it. The biggest problem with that is Sum and I like the same class. We would be competing against each other for that spot in the record book.

Beck

Yea, and you have all of my notes now too  :( .  Just kidding, I think it would be great if you built a car.  We could take turns setting records.  Actually if I ever set a record that would be icing on the cake.  I'm having the most fun building.

The tanks are not asymmetrical in shape.  They are flatter on the side that faces the planes body/wing.  I'll take the "skinny" sides to make my car and you can have the "fat" sides to make your car, since you are way ahead of me on engine development  :D

See you on the salt at "high noon".

Thanks for the storage offer Tom.  If you want to run down there and get them and store them at your house I'll be over when the snow is gone.

c ya, Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Beck

Yea, and you have all of my notes now too  :( .  Just kidding, I think it would be great if you built a car.  We could take turns setting records.  Actually if I ever set a record that would be icing on the cake.  I'm having the most fun building.

The tanks are not asymmetrical in shape.  They are flatter on the side that faces the planes body/wing.  I'll take the "skinny" sides to make my car and you can have the "fat" sides to make your car, since you are way ahead of me on engine development  :D

See you on the salt at "high noon".

Thanks for the storage offer Tom.  If you want to run down there and get them and store them at your house I'll be over when the snow is gone.

c ya, Sum

i don't think i'll be going to texass any time soon but the offer stands..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Maybe Miss Kitty has some friends or relatived down there. Her husband hasn't been down there for about two months.Maybe she left something down there and he can make a trip down thereto get it. I think he's still between jobs. GPster

unklian

Quote12 feet long and about 2 feet in daimeter

That SOUNDS plenty big,until you draw a 24" circle,
and try to squeeze a bunch of stuff in there.

Tight fit.

OlBuzzard

If we can set up some kind of a shuttle I can haul them a couple hundred miles.

Beck

Quote from: "unklian"

Tight fit.

I won't fit in something 2' in diamater, forget the rest of the stuff.
Seriously, when I built my last tractor the starting measurement was how wide my bottom side was. I had to fit between the fenders.

Bib_Overalls

Tight fit.

The Air Force makes "travel pods" by modifying tanks like that.  Fighter pilots use them to carry their personal essentials when they fly cross country.  The key dimension when selecting a tank for modification - it must accommodate a set of golf clubs.

Before I retired I had some connections.  Most likely I could have had them dropped off at your place.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

river1

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Before I retired I had some connections.  Most likely I could have had them dropped off at your place.

well what are you waiting for
REENLIST   :D  :D

LATER JIM
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

1FATGMC

Tight fit.

I won't fit in something 2' in diamater, forget the rest of the stuff.
Seriously, when I built my last tractor the starting measurement was how wide my bottom side was. I had to fit between the fenders.

You could fit Tom.  The E-Z Hook is only 21 X 27 with a frontal area of 3.62 sq. ft.

Sorry this picture isn't better, but it is the best I have of the car/bike.  They are running a 1100 or 1300 cc KAWASAKI that shouldn't be any smaller than our 750's.

The car on a training run without the body.

The tanks I'm trying to get are definitely too short (will need an added center section) and might not be wide enough or tall enough to use as is.  I feel it will be easier to take too small of a tank and add filler pieces to make it bigger than to start with too large of a tank and try to make it smaller.  I could be wrong.  Also I really like how close these tank are to the E-Z Hook streamliner that I have a lot of admiration for.   If we get these tanks they might be used, or used for a while, or used to help build a final mold for a fiberglass body.  One thing is I think they will save me a lot of time however they are used.

Now get out in the shop Tom and get started on your car.

c ya, Sum

PeterR

QuoteThe tanks I'm trying to get are definitely too short (will need an added center section) and might not be wide enough or tall enough to use as is.  I feel it will be easier to take too small of a tank and add filler pieces to make it bigger than to start with too large of a tank and try to make it smaller.

Sum,
A few years ago I was doing work on a streamline float that was to be fabricated from flat panels much like the way a barrel is formed from flat strakes.

I developed a procedure to plot the actual shape of the segments in their flat form from the length, diameter, and the NACA coords of the aerofoil section.   Even using as few as 8 flats the finished shape looks quite respectable. If you decide to build a body from scratch you are quite welcome to use this or I can run the figures through for you.

If you have concerns of the cross section being a series of flats rather than a smooth shape, remember for a solid body fully immersed in a fluid the drag is profoundly influenced by the shape in side view, but the shape of the cross section viewed from the front has no bearing on the drag, only the cross section area.

purplepickup

Being a bit claustrophobic I was intrigued by the tiny places people put themselves in Bonneville cars and how they arranged their controls & instruments.   There's even one car that the driver lays flat on his back and "sees" where he is going thru a periscope.

Here's some pictures I took of some of some cars that would be a little challenging to get in and out of.  One thing that helps you Sumner is that you have a lot less body fat than most of us. :D

I thought this steering was interesting
George