It started with a BANG . . . Redux

Started by av8, February 08, 2005, 08:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

The steel fire-ring broke and the gasket eroded into a coolant passage.

The valves appear to be in excellent shape, as are the bores . . . just an ever-so-slight ridge. Surprisingly little carbon deposited on the pistons, valves, and combustion chambers.

I'm going to clean it up,  blow out the crumbs, install a fresh gasket, and he will be ready to go . . . right after an oil change and some fresh coolant.

kb426

Congratulations! Thats' the lesser of the evils lurking within.
TEAM SMART

Fat Cat

good deal Mike. I am glad for you that it was nothing big.

Sean

Glad to see thats all it was. Better go buy a lottery ticket... :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

so far it looks like an easy repair.

check for cracks.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slocrow

Looks like it was starting on the other side too. To burn through, that is. Don't know flatty's so I can't suggest a solution. I'd investigate........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Roadstar

Glad to hear it wasn't too serious. IT's  funny how we will always think the worst, and when it something not so bad it is such a relief.

parklane

Good to hear that it was nothing too serious, :D  as others have said, check as to why it happened. Hope prestone didn't get down into the oil, as it does not agree with con rod and main bearings
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Bruce Dorsi

OK, I'll bite! ---  So, what caused the BANG?

....hydraulic lock?

....the gasket does not appear to be open to the adjacent cylinder, allowing a cross-fire.

I'm glad to hear things were not more serious.

...Please buy a lottery ticket for me, as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

av8

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"OK, I'll bite! ---  So, what caused the BANG?

....hydraulic lock?

....the gasket does not appear to be open to the adjacent cylinder, allowing a cross-fire.

I'm glad to hear things were not more serious.

...Please buy a lottery ticket for me, as well.

The BANG was mechanical rather than an explosion, the sort of hit you hear with an incorrectly aligned Chevy starter. Best I can figure is that it was a touch of hydraulic shock from coolant that had leaked into the cylinder while I was gassing up.  The great cloud of white smoke that followed me home was a combination of water and glycol.

I've got my Super Lotto ticket sitting right here on my computer console.

Charlie Chops 1940

Sounds like it's gonna be good to go. Coax a few thousand nore miles out of her before the Chevy goes in - LOL.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Mike, if that mechanical bang was caused by a form of hydro lock you might want to check to make sure all your pistons travel as high as they are supposed to.  The last time I heard a noise similar to that I bent a rod due to rain water getting into #7 cyl on a SBC thru the carb.  It made a sort of clink or clank/bang sound.
George

manyolkars

It may  have been a headbolt that lost torque.  Torque the headbolt repeatedly until it stays torqued

av8

Quote from: "purplepickup"Mike, if that mechanical bang was caused by a form of hydro lock you might want to check to make sure all your pistons travel as high as they are supposed to. . .

That thought crossed my mind, George. I just finished ckecking it and it's okay, although in the process I discovered that things are not what they are supposed to be. The fellow I bought the truck from said the engine was the original -- as far as he knew.  The original and long-term owner (independent garage owner/operator) has gone to his reward so I can't ask him, but it appears sometime over the years the old fellow slipped a Mercury shortblock into it; it has a 4-inch stroke!  :D

That might explain why it's such a strong runner. . .

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "av8"
That thought crossed my mind, George. I just finished ckecking it and it's okay, although in the process I discovered that things are not what they are supposed to be. The fellow I bought the truck from said the engine was the original -- as far as he knew.  The original and long-term owner (independent garage owner/operator) has gone to his reward so I can't ask him, but it appears sometime over the years the old fellow slipped a Mercury shortblock into it; it has a 4-inch stroke!  :D

That might explain why it's such a strong runner. . .

4 inch stroke.  mayb punch the muther out a .100 or so?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)