v-8 in 49 chevy fastback coupe?

Started by veneno, February 06, 2005, 12:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veneno

this is my first custom project i would really like to put a 327 that i got out of a early model corvette into this car but i need some help like what kinda front clip would be adaptable to this car or anything else that may help me make this possible im always open to suggestions thanks for your tyme

rooster

Welcome to RRT!
It seems these 49-50 Chevys are becoming a build trend around here! My son just got a 2
door coupe , hasn't drug it home yet. I would think there would be someone around here
who's done the clip swap thing for 49-54 frames. I would think Camero, Nova, Firebird,
s10, are the candidate's. Show us a picture of your ride. Keep us informed of progress. :wink:

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT. Seems these cars are getting real popular of late.

You can put a 327 in there without any major cutting, using all the stock front suspension.  with a couple upgrades, brakes, and steering, the stock front end will work fine.

A few questions, what trans do you want to use? What's your skill level? Whats your goal with the car?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

There's 2 or 3 of those thing being built right now around this site, Two of them are being done by newbies. They aren't being done by chicks (George) just eggs and they're being watched over by Rooster. I've got a sketchy memory but one of them has Rat?????? as his handle and the other one has Dan?????? as his. We've discussed Toronado disc brakes and Jag front crossmembers and modifying firewalls and brake pedals so there is a lot of information in the recent archieves with differant ideas. There is usually no shortage of people here to suggest ways to do it, some of us worked on those cars when they were new and "old men" like to sleep in on Sunday mornings. GPster

tom36

Putting a Chevy v8 in a 49 to 54 was a fairly easy swap  "back in the day", but today I think Chassis Engineering makes the engine and transmission  bolt in mounts as well as the kit for the rear end to make it even easier. I think the 55, 6, 7 rear ends would almost bolt in by changing the center bolt hole location.  Tom..

Bib_Overalls

An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

RatBandit

Welcome to the club! It looks like we have the same thing in mind.  These guyz know what they are talkin about.

47wood

Welcome to the RRT.  Sounds like a nice project.  Post some pics and keep us up on your progress.  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

veneno

thanks for the help i didnt expect a reply back so fast  its nice to be able to chat with the folks who knows what theyre talkin about i guess i should explain what is going on i have this 49 chevy that has a original 216 motor that runs real decent and also a decent tranny the car is all original but needs work i also have a 327 that came out of a early model corvette that i thought would be pretty neat to have in place of the old 216 but ive never done nothing like this before so for my skill level id have to say im a beginer as far as all this goes but i do have moderate skills when workin on the mechanical end of things ok i did enuff talkin heres the part where i start listning             thank you everybody and ill try to get pictures up when i can figure out these darn computers

sirstude

Just remember that you can bolt a 12" ibeam between the front suspension and the frame for that "nose high" look.  All us old guys have seen one of those at one time or another.  Just don't try to turn or stop.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

veneno

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"This web site has some useful info http://50chevy.com/parts.html  .
pretty helpful website it has all the information i needed to know and a whole bunch more thanks for the help

alchevy

Welcome to the RRT. Here's my 2cents worth: Someone was talking about putting a clip on a car the other day and the question came up: Why do that when there are so many companies out there making Mustang II independant front suspensions that makes for a cleaner look and they fit up fine in most cases instead of adapting a clip. My '40 Chevy has a Fatman front crossmember and I have been very happy with it. I have pictures and info on my website about the buildup of the car at www.astreetrodder.com
One thing about those Chevrolets in the forties, there's plenty of room up front for any size motor you want. Even though there are 9 years difference between my car & yours, a lot of stuff will apply to both. Mine had the old 216 motor in it too...Chevy used that motor in several cars & trucks over the years during that time period.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com