Intro

Started by RatBandit, February 03, 2005, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatBandit

How's every one doing?  I am pretty familiar with the site and some of the members
being the son of rooster and have just found my first project, a 49 chevy.  It was cheap
enough so I bought it.  It is all original without the interior in it.  The floorboards are shot
and it doesn't run so, I have a lot of work ahead of me.  The guy gave me a 700r4 in the
deal but that would need a rebuild.  Don't care how I get it running at first, probably
going to tinker around with the original drive train but in the end it will have a chevy
small block and a later model drive train. I am looking forward to building and cruzin
with my friend 50chevydan and dad (rooster), hitting all the St. Louis area car shows and
hopefully I can get this rat going for the HAMB Drags!
-Greg

moparrodder

Quote from: "RatBandit"How's every one doing?  I am pretty familiar with the site and some of the members
being the son of rooster and have just found my first project, a 49 chevy.  

-Greg

Hi Greg!!  Welcome to the board,  it's good to see another youngen jump in this hobby, and to have a project too!! 8)   It should make a sweet ride for you!!  Just take it slow and do it right  and don't forget to ask plenty of questions as there are a lot of roddin friends here that will help ya out.  Congrats on finding the new project and keep us posted on the buildup.         Bill

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT. Looks like you have a pretty good start there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

welcome aboard the RRT board.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Welcome...Glad you decided to stick your nose in the door!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

rooster

Don't know much about these old Chevy's as far as what swaps with different years and
styles but it looks like 49-52 on the body parts. For openers a truck lid and drivers side
windshield are on the list. He wants a bench seat, can probably find something to fit.

The car had a inspection sticker on the windshield but cant make out the year. Both the
clutch and brake peddles are on the floor, and the transmission cover has been removed. It
looks like maybe someone was going to maybe swap a trans or replace a clutch or
preparing to jurk the engine, but then stopped. I guess we will start by seeing if we can
get it to run and evaluate the front suspension. The floorboard needs attention on drivers side I think the rest can be patched.

I think we can place a 12v battery into the system dropping the voltage to the coil for a
"attempt to start".

GPster

Welcome. This is going to be a fun time. Pull the plugs and get the engine to roll over before too many tries to get it running. This is probably a "Babbit Pounder" 216, so don't be afraid if you get it running that there is no oil pressure. It would be far easier to put a 12V coil on it later to see if it will run just use the old coil on 12v for now. I usually disconnect the gas pump from the tank and pipe it to fresh gas in a can. Either is usually good to have around also ( for the engine not for you). Remember your buddy, with Toronado disc brakes and a bunch of plans he might have a bunch of use-able cast-off parts. I'd think first about the brake pedal on the floor than what I'm going to sit on while I'm driving it. GPster

HotRodLadyCrusr

Hi bud, glad to see you posting on here.  Great looking project so far.  Lots of room to take plenty of babes cruzn.  :wink:  

I've got a Cutlass front bench seat that you can have.  It's in Big Olds right now but will be replaced sometime this spring.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Fat Cat

47wood

Welcome to the RRT Greg.  Thanks for posting a pic of the Chevy.  Look forward to seeing your progress.  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

purplepickup

Quote from: "RatBandit"......being the son of rooster ....
If you're the son of rooster then you must be a chick :lol:  
Excuse the dumb jokes I can't help myself....they changed my meds.

Welcome to the wonderful world of building your own rod.  It get's a little frustrating at times (ask your dad) but it's worth it if it's in your blood.  Enjoy your project.  We'll be looking forward to hearing from you. :D
George

Roadstar

Welcome to the RRT, we are just one big happy family.

We have BBQ's and everything :D

parklane

Welcome Greg.   I see you already have central air conditioning on the car  :lol: You have a good car there to start on. They make a nice cruiser.
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

1FATGMC

Welcome, and I want to know where all you car guys were hiding when I was growing up in St. Louis county 50 years ago.  I felt all alone there then with my first car.

Don't forget you go to B'ville first and then the Hamb drags on the way home.

c ya, Sum

RatBandit

Thanks everyone for responding, the offers, and the advice. 1FATGMC in my area now
there is a monthly car show every month that attract over 300 cars and on though's really
nice night I would not be surprised if 600 were trying to get in.  I think the popularity has
really grow over the last few years, so if you ever come back to the area or anyone else
visits try to make it one of the first Friday nights of the month.  Yesterday rooster and I
went back to visit the car and graded all the lose goodies that could walk away.  We also
got the emergency brake working and the tranny out of gear so we can pull this thing up
it's hill and on to a trailer.  The engine would not start, but the battery cables were in
pretty shabby condition (one of the headlights still work).  Can't wait to get to work!