Piloted Reamer

Started by DRD57, January 30, 2005, 08:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

You may recall a few weeks back I was inquiring about a piloted reamer. I scored one at the LB swap meet today. I'm unsure how the pilot part works though. The small tapered part in the picture fits over the pilot shaft but I don't understand how it can hold the reamer in alignment while the second king pin bushing is being reamed. Anybody know how to pilot this thing? (pun intended).

Dave

Quote from: "DRD57"You may recall a few weeks back I was inquiring about a piloted reamer. I scored one at the LB swap meet today. I'm unsure how the pilot part works though. The small tapered part in the picture fits over the pilot shaft but I don't understand how it can hold the reamer in alignment while the second king pin bushing is being reamed. Anybody know how to pilot this thing? (pun intended).

Interesting. I see its adjustable but its not like the one i have that has a pilot but its non adjustable made just for early for king pins..
Dave

unklian

I would GUESS that if you reamed the top first,from the top,piloting from the bottom hole;you would ream the bottom from the bottom,piloting off the top hole.2 operations.

The bushing is tapered to allow for different size holes,
since the reamer is adjustable.

kb426

I have a question. Why don't you take the spindle to the engine machine shop and use the rod hone. Then it will be concentric and precisely sized?
TEAM SMART

DRD57

Quote from: "kb426"I have a question. Why don't you take the spindle to the engine machine shop and use the rod hone. Then it will be concentric and precisely sized?

because they take too long.

Crosley.In.AZ

I ain't never seen one built like that.

hope it works well for you Don
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"I ain't never seen one built like that.

hope it works well for you Don
That's the kind I've seen used for doing sleeve bearings in electric motors. It is used for bearings that are further apart and I would think from watching it used (as per the explanation, which is correct) that it would not be ideal for kingpin bushings but would probably work. You need to sneak-up to the correct size by making a number of passes and ream each end at one setting before adjusting the blades to make the next pass. Just take your time but it shouldn't take as long as polishing an engine block. GPster