Question on Installing Mallory Unilite

Started by BELLM, January 29, 2005, 10:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Quote from: "BELLM"This is in a 27T roadster, '57 SBC, 301. Coil & resistors mounted inside on  firewall. My deceased friend apparently knew what he was doing, this explains the two resistors. Will check & make sure properly grounded.
Looking thru Summut catalog as research on this saw a Mallory Active Power Filter, plugs in line between the dizzy & the coil, is this worth the $33 or should I just buy a spare module to carry on trips?
Thanks guys! :D

It would be good insurance to have one just it case! Can you imagin the expence of a tow bill or leaving your rod along the side of the road unattended!

This happened to me on the way home from the nationls 2 years ago. The Unilite dropped dead at a stop sign in Evansville, luckly I had a backup stock Chevy hei for backup in the trunk. I still needed to be helped by a local rodder who provided me with hei wires witch I did not have.

I would also make or buy a plug that disconects the dizzy wires for battery charging and welding on the rod.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "BELLM"This is in a 27T roadster, '57 SBC, 301. Coil & resistors mounted inside on  firewall. My deceased friend apparently knew what he was doing, this explains the two resistors. Will check & make sure properly grounded.
Looking thru Summut catalog as research on this saw a Mallory Active Power Filter, plugs in line between the dizzy & the coil, is this worth the $33 or should I just buy a spare module to carry on trips?
Thanks guys! :D

It would be good insurance to have one just it case! Can you imagin the expence of a tow bill or leaving your rod along the side of the road unattended!

This happened to me on the way home from the nationls 2 years ago. The Unilite dropped dead at a stop sign in Evansville, luckly I had a backup stock Chevy hei for backup in the trunk. I still needed to be helped by a local rodder who provided me with hei wires witch I did not have.

I would also make or buy a plug that disconects the dizzy wires for battery charging and welding on the rod.

I think I would rather carry another HEI dist with me I just tore out a mallory 9000 with its mallery coil and some kind of box and 2 ballest resister for one HEI one wire and a tack wire. Ed ke6bnl just my thoughts.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

enjenjo

The power filter protects the ignition against power spikes. A definite plus if you are using a generator.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

carry an extra light  module seems like a good idear.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

BELLM

Thanks again, never thought about battery charging.

rooster

Quote from: "BELLM"Thanks again, never thought about battery charging.

This is the type of charger im talking about, you can crank the car with a low battery! Every thing im reading says this is risky bussiness with chiped ( the regulator) alternators I would asume the same would apply with chiped ignitions.

:?:  This brings up a question? You leave your lights and come back to a dead battery! Your buddy pulls up with his caddy with a cs 144 (140 amps) alternator in it and hooks up the battery cabels to give you a jump to get it started! wouldent this be just as much risk if not more as a 50 amp fast start charger?