Instlling door glass in a deuce 5 window?

Started by 47convert, January 28, 2005, 06:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

Can someone explain to me how to install the door glass in a deuce 5 window? I installed a new window channel kit and Have some old glass that I wanted to confirm the size and shape of before getting new glass cut, but I sure can't seem to get the glass in - do I need to install the glass before the channel?[

purplepickup

I'm sure there's a "right" way but here's what I did.  I started with nothing on my truck so I permanently welded one channel in and made the other one so that it bolts in and out.  I intalled the fuzzy into the welded channel then put the glass into the fuzzy.  Then I slipped the other side onto the glass and bolted it in.

I made the rigid channel from that shelving channel you can buy at hardware stores.  The fuzzy chanel fits right in it perfectly.
George

rooster

Mike, I have only done a 37 ford, yours is probly different! I used a piece of 1/4" plexie
glass for the fit, mine had to be trimmed to match the chopped top.

With regulators not installed ,And no cat wisker either, but the DOOR channels installed the template (plexie
glass)was placed into the bottom of the door longways with the GLASS channel installed
on it!
With the front of the glass (vent end)on top I pushed the glass up through where the cat
wiskers would be! (where your arm would rest)!
Then turned the glass aliening it with the channels until it would slip into proper position
in the channels.
With that done, the glass could now go up and down in the channel under hand power. I
then gray taped the glass in the up position and installed the regulator.
Be carefull not to drop the glass. Cordboard works well for a trial run.

47 ragtop

I  have used this method many times. First mount the regulator with the lower channel  in the lowered position.  Insert the old glass in the door and in the lower channel .Roll up the window and eyeball the relationship of the old glass to the lower channel  and mark it on the old glass with a sharpie. Remove old glass and fill the lower channel about half to 3-quarter full of silicone adhesive [sealant}. Carefully install new glass in lower channel about half way down. ALL of this is done with out the felt glass run installed as this will allow working room. NOW install the felt and roll the glass almost to the top -- don't over compress the still uncured silicone. Let it cure. Then roll down window and permantely install the window felt with gorilla snot or screws  making sure if you use screws that the edge of the glass doesn't hit one of them. Roll the window down or  even loosen the regulaor and install the windoww fuzzies last. I prefer the black silicone over the clear. This works very good with old rusted lower channels that have lost their tension holding ability with galss setting tape.

47convert

The doors are stock with all the original steel channels in place - no chop, and the steel channels mentioned are molded into the inner door panel. The felt channels are repops of originals. When I drop the glass down into the opening (vertically) and then try to turn it the right way up, there's not enough room for it to roate. I've put glass in my deuce pickup and many other old cars over the years and never had this trouble. I think it's a unique problem to these coupes.

rooster

Quote from: "47convert"The doors are stock with all the original steel channels in place - no chop, and the steel channels mentioned are molded into the inner door panel. The felt channels are repops of originals. When I drop the glass down into the opening (vertically) and then try to turn it the right way up, there's not enough room for it to roate. I've put glass in my deuce pickup and many other old cars over the years and never had this trouble. I think it's a unique problem to these coupes.

On the 37 im using orginal  channels also  with dake's batwings, my windows have the smokers vent feature where glass rolls forward a bit that allows for alittle more room when installing. You might do a search of the net and search the archives of street rod stuff seems I found some info over there

34ford

Seems what he is trying to figure out is how to get the glass back in the door with all the original parts in place. Once he puts the glass down into the door in the vertical position it cannot be rotated to a horizontal position to align it in the channels.

On my 34 I had drop it down as far as I could to bottom of the door so it could be rotated back to horizontal so the top edges of the glass could be started into the channel and then slide it up into the channels and then hook up the regulator to hold it in place.  Clear as mud, right?? :roll:

bob

47convert

Quote from: "34ford"Seems what he is trying to figure out is how to get the glass back in the door with all the original parts in place. Once he puts the glass down into the door in the vertical position it cannot be rotated to a horizontal position to align it in the channels.

Yup! The glass and the opening are pretty much square. With a later modle, the sloped windshield allows you to rotate the glass easily. Guess I'll pull the felts and try it again. Seems like it's gonna be tuff installing the felt with the glass in place though.

47convert

Thanx guys - pulling the felt channels out did the trick.