A new thread on the rearend in my lakester.....

Started by 1FATGMC, January 27, 2005, 01:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "unklian"Making more sense as time goes on.
I see a Solar Powered Racer influemce.

I wonder if such a long streamlined side pod would create too much drag due to surface friction ?

Perhaps smaller sections over the front and rear axles,similar to a Soap Box Derbt Car,would produce less drag,and could be adjusted independently.

OR your design could be used to generate some downforce at speed.
Vertical side panels would capture the air underneth,
and the curve of the underside of the side pod would create downforce.

There are 2 main enemys at Bonneville.Drag and Lift.
The question is how to reduce and balance them.

Wasn't the body on Flatfire designed with a bunch of wind tunnel time ?
There are lots of side views around,but not many from the front.
I'm guessing it's real pointy,and makes the air go down the sides,instead of over top which would create lift.

Ian thanks for your additional ideas,

Sum

unklian

In my simple mind,airodynamic Drag is made up of 3 components.
#1 Entering the air,which is the shape of the front.
Does the shape enter the air cleanly,like an arrow,or more like a truck ?

#2 Going through the air.Surface friction,seams,rivets,bumps,
mirrors hanging on the side etc.

#3 Exiting the air.How well does the air close in behind the car ?
You want to leave as small of a hole in the air as possible.

It can be beneficial to increase frontal area,
if the new shape will allow the air close in behind the car better,resulting in less drag.

unklian

Maybe more like this ? :?:

Aside front the fact you can't steer the front wheels.
:shock:  :D

Actually,looking at it now,the streamlining on the axles should problably be more pointed on the front,but you get the idea.

I'd definately build it nose heavy,most likely with a flat bottom.
And dump the exhaust out the bottom,like the F1 cars used to do. :idea: [/quote]

1FATGMC

Personally I don't think the two shorter air foils are going to gain you anything, but we could probably argue about that until the cows came home  :D .

Also you are not accounting for the room I need to locate those axles and for the suspenion I have in mind.  Another thing is that side airfoil will at the most be 12 inches in width, but that area does give you a place to mount some of the stuff that will be on the car.  Room will be a premium.

Don't put too much in those sketches on my site.  I did them in a couple minutes to work out a few things in my mind.  They are not to scale.  No where long enough and the body probably won't look like them.

Look up the E-Z Hook streamliner.  I'm hoping my body will look like that, but since I'm a lakester and not a bike streamliner I'll add the side airfoils to the sides of that body.

Like I said a couple posts back,  there are lots of differnent view points as to what will work on the salt and high speeds have been achived with very different body designs in the same class.

Sounds like you might have salt fever  :-o .  When are you going to start on a car?

c ya, Sum

unklian

QuoteSounds like you might have salt fever  . When are you going to start on a car?

That won't be happening.

Long story. :cry: