Bellhousing bolt patterns and SBC to 727 union advice?

Started by junkjunky, January 25, 2005, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkjunky

Q1:  I've surfed around trying to find it with no luck... does anyone have the dimensions of the bolt pattern on the back of small and big block chevys AND big block mopars?

Q2:  I'm mating a big block 727 torqueflite to a small block chevy.  Any advice?  Any jeep people or similar who have done this?  I need to make a custom motorplate anyway so buying a kit is pretty much not an answer, except to buy one as a really expensive pattern.

Why am I doing this? (someone is bound to incredulously ask).  I need a shorty 3speed because it's going into a sprint car.

Does anyone have bellhousing dimensions for sbc and bb-mopar?

Thanks folks!
-Richard
When you\'re going through hell... keep going! -Winston Churchill

SKR8PN

Do you happen to know anyone with a copy of
"MOPAR OVAL TRACK MODIFICATIONS" book?????
It has all the dimensions in it for the big and the small block MOPAR engines.
THAT is half of your equation :lol:

( I have it,but my scanner went on vacation :oops: )
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

enjenjo

Small block, and big block Chevys are the same at the bellhousing flange, if that makes it easier.

FWIW, AMC used a 904 Torqueflite with a chevy bellhousing pattern about 1980, if that would work for you. It was behind Iron Duke 4 cylinders.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

junkjunky

The plot sickens:

I've been taking some measurements and dorking around... and I'm thinking of eliminating the ring gear.

Question: has anyone ever relocated a starter to the front of the engine?  I've never seen it done, but I suppose anything is possible.

Why am I doing this? :roll:

enjenjo

It can be done, but you will need a much bigger starter, the ring gear drops the ratio to about 18 to 1. What are you trying to do? Is this going to be a street sprint car? You can mount the starter pointing back at the top of the bell housing to gain bottom and side clearance. Some of the stock car boys are using this setup with a smaller flex plate to mount the engine lower.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

I saw a starter permanantly mounted on the front of a dragster,
down low near the crank.

I suspect they plugged in a BIG battery to make it work,
because it didn't use a large ring gear.

No idea why they wouldn't hang it on the side of the block.

junkjunky

This is my new hillclimb/ice-race/solo/whatever car.  I have delusions of running pikes-peak someday before they close the hill.   Aaanyway, it needs a starter, and a short transmission, and preferably 3 forward gears instead of 2 (powerglide).  I know this can be done, but I'm trying to figure out the least painful way of doing it.  Hmmmmm.   The front starter is not a preferred solution, especially with a 12:1 383.  I promise to post pictures after I figure it out & construct it.