Need some info on Lincoln Versaille rearend, pleae

Started by av8, February 21, 2004, 09:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

I'm starting to collect pieces for next Winter's project (simple open-wheeler with inexpensive contemporary drivetrain hardware, etc.)

A friend has a couple of Lincoln Versaille rearends, to which I haven't paid any attentin in the past, other than hearing that they're desireable because of their disc brakes.

So far today I've heard only speculation about their architecture (8- or 9-inch,  width, readily availble gear ratios in OEM pumpkins . . .)

One friend is sure the pumpkin is unique and was made available only with 3.0 gears, and it's about the same width as an 8-inch Maverick. The other friend insists that it's much wider and was available with a wide range of gear ratios.

I'd appreciate some non-speculative answers.  :lol:

TIA

enjenjo

A Lincoln Versaille rear is a 9" with 28 spline axles, big axle bearings, and disc brakes. Original ratios are 2.47, 2.50, 2.75 or 3.0 with the 2.50 being the most common. Any Ford 9" carrier will fit, as long as it has a fill plug on the side. The original carrier is normally equiped with a CV joint flange, which can be replaced with a U joint yoke. Axle flange to axle flange they are 57 1/2" wide.

If you get one, make sure it's complete, there are virtually no parts available for the disc brakes. Calipers can be rebuilt, but there are not many cores available, no rotors are available new. Pads are available.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

av8

Quote from: "enjenjo"A Lincoln Versaille rear is a 9" with 28 spline axles, big axle bearings, and disc brakes. Original ratios are 2.47, 2.50, 2.75 or 3.0 with the 2.50 being the most common. Any Ford 9" carrier will fit, as long as it has a full plug on the side. The original carrier is normally equiped with a CV joint flange, which can be replaced with a U joint yoke. Axle flange to axle flange they are 57 1/2" wide.

If you get one, make sure it's complete, there are virtually no parts available for the disc brakes. Calipers can be rebuilt, but there are not many cores available, no rotors are available new. Pads are available.

Most stuff is sounding not too promising. How does the 57.5 inch width compare to the 8-inch Maverick?

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

WZ JUNK

A note on the disc brake rearend problem.  I bought rebuilt calipers for mine and I had the new rotors as they came with the rear when I purchased it.  These parts were available at my local parts store.  They were expensive compared to other units.   Speedway and others sell an inexpensive bracket that you weld to the axle in place of the factory caliper bracket. This bracket allows you to use Chevrolet calipers, which are much more affordable and do not have the goofy emergency brake mechanism as part of the caliper.  If I were to use this style rearend again, I would go that route.

A second thought,  I would not bother with a disc brake rear at all.  I do not think they are necessary for a street driven vehicle and the expense of the Ford disc rear is too much for what you gain.   I believe most of the braking is done by the front end of the car and the rear disc brakes are just frills.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

tom36

[ What Enjenjo said..  I understand the latest in "hot"  rearends is the Ford Explorer 8.8.  Narrow, plentiful , mostly limited slip or posi or whatever Ford call it, disc brakes , 5 on 4.5 bolt circle. Quite a good selection of ratios too.  Ranger 8.8's might be a little narrower?  Tom..

av8

Thanks for the info, guys. Based on what I've learned here I'll give the Lincoln rearend a pass and resume my hunt for a Maverick 8-inch.

dave Robertson

Quote from: "av8"Thanks for the info, guys. Based on what I've learned here I'll give the Lincoln rearend a pass and resume my hunt for a Maverick 8-inch.

FWIW, Ther is a local boneyard here (Tacoma Washington) that has a Maverick differential, complete, still attached to the original Maverick. I'll give you their number if you want it.

Or you can do what I did thanks to Enjenjo's Tech section to the old site.

Take a 8" mustang II 4 bolt differential and convert it to 5 bolt by getting some Granada 8" axles and cutting them to the correct length using the 4 bolt axles for a length pattern. Really simple and cheap, too. I got the 4 bolt housing complete for hauling it away Then I got a complete granada axle for $100, I wanted a complete axle to utilize the larger granada brakes because the MII brakes are tiny. You will need to redrill the Granada backing plates to the smaller pattern of the MII but that is no big deal. The MII axle is 57" hub to hub and dropped right into my 56 ford ranchwagon

Cheers,
DaveR

av8

Dave -- Thanks for the info about the Granda axles. I know someone who reguarly harvests Granada/Monarch front spindles for shoebox Ford upgrades. I'll see if he'll snatch a couple of axles for me on his next hunting trip.

Mike

jimmerc

:roll: Lincoln Versialles rears are vastly overpriced and over rated. Type the words   9 inch Ford into your  computer search box and you will get tons of tech info. :P

dave Robertson

Quote from: "av8"Dave -- Thanks for the info about the Granda axles. I know someone who reguarly harvests Granada/Monarch front spindles for shoebox Ford upgrades. I'll see if he'll snatch a couple of axles for me on his next hunting trip.

Mike

Just be sure that  you parts hunting buddy knows to look for an 8" diff under the Granada. For some reason, Ford put any of 4 different rears in Granadas. There  is the absolutely useless 8.75" which looks just like an 8.8 except there are no gear sets avaliable. Then there is the 7.5 inch and the occasional rare 9 inch, too. Don't do what I did when I bought a nice V8 donor Granada for my 56 project, and installed the differential thinking it was an 8.8..... Sheesh.....

Dave   :roll:  :roll:

enjenjo

dave Robertson

Quote from: "enjenjo"There are actually some gears available for the 8.75 at   http://nationaldrivetrain.com/

Hmmm.  I looked there and all I saw listed were gears for 7.5, 8, 8.8 and 9".

In any event it was less hassle and expense to change the differential than to mess around getting oddball gears, installation kits,setting backlash, etc...

Cheers,

Dave

enjenjo

Ok. I didn't actually check on the 8.75 on the site, but I have their paper catalog, and they do have them listed there. I assumed they would be on the site too, my bad.

Flipper

Quote from: "dave Robertson"
Quote from: "av8"Thanks for the info, guys. Based on what I've learned here I'll give the Lincoln rearend a pass and resume my hunt for a Maverick 8-inch.

FWIW, Ther is a local boneyard here (Tacoma Washington) that has a Maverick differential, complete, still attached to the original Maverick. I'll give you their number if you want it.

Or you can do what I did thanks to Enjenjo's Tech section to the old site.

Take a 8" mustang II 4 bolt differential and convert it to 5 bolt by getting some Granada 8" axles and cutting them to the correct length using the 4 bolt axles for a length pattern. Really simple and cheap, too. I got the 4 bolt housing complete for hauling it away Then I got a complete granada axle for $100, I wanted a complete axle to utilize the larger granada brakes because the MII brakes are tiny. You will need to redrill the Granada backing plates to the smaller pattern of the MII but that is no big deal. The MII axle is 57" hub to hub and dropped right into my 56 ford ranchwagon

Cheers,
DaveR

What is the width of a stock granada rear?  

They are pretty narrow them selves aren't they?  ...57"?