Disc Brakes for 9" Ford

Started by MO_JUNK, January 24, 2005, 11:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MO_JUNK

Most add-on disc brake kits for the 9" Ford rearends reuire a weld-on caliper bracket and a two piece rotor. The two piece rotor is deeper and causes some back spacing issues. Does anyone know of a complete bolt-on kit with a factory style one piece rotor? Sam

sirstude

Sam,

I did my conversion with the brakes off of a 76 Lincoln.  If you have the big bolt 9" ford, all you have to do is cut the tapered bearing retainer off of the mount.  When you look at the mount, what you have to do is self explanitory.  If you have the small bolt 9", you will have to slot the holes in the mounts.  It took me about an hour to get mine set up.  Redrilling the rotors from 5 on 5 to Chevy bolt pattern took the longer than mounting the brakes.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Dave

Quote from: "MO_JUNK"Most add-on disc brake kits for the 9" Ford rearends reuire a weld-on caliper bracket and a two piece rotor. The two piece rotor is deeper and causes some back spacing issues. Does anyone know of a complete bolt-on kit with a factory style one piece rotor? Sam

Ive been debating a while about converting the 32 to rear disk brakes but then I kinda wonder why? My car dosent really weigh much and I think Ive got the rear drum issue cured so im gonna stick with drums. Seems interesting I had a 2002 s-10 zr2 pickup with 4 wheel disk brakes and my new colorado 4x4 has rear drums and its a bigger truck? Kinda makes you think..
Dave

MO_JUNK

Quote from: "sirstude"Sam,

I did my conversion with the brakes off of a 76 Lincoln.  If you have the big bolt 9" ford, all you have to do is cut the tapered bearing retainer off of the mount.  When you look at the mount, what you have to do is self explanitory.  If you have the small bolt 9", you will have to slot the holes in the mounts.  It took me about an hour to get mine set up.  Redrilling the rotors from 5 on 5 to Chevy bolt pattern took the longer than mounting the brakes.

Doug

sirstude, thanks for the tip. I assume you mean the full size Lincoln. We will go junkyarding and see what we can find. Sam

MO_JUNK

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "MO_JUNK"Most add-on disc brake kits for the 9" Ford rearends reuire a weld-on caliper bracket and a two piece rotor. The two piece rotor is deeper and causes some back spacing issues. Does anyone know of a complete bolt-on kit with a factory style one piece rotor? Sam

Ive been debating a while about converting the 32 to rear disk brakes but then I kinda wonder why? My car dosent really weigh much and I think Ive got the rear drum issue cured so im gonna stick with drums. Seems interesting I had a 2002 s-10 zr2 pickup with 4 wheel disk brakes and my new colorado 4x4 has rear drums and its a bigger truck? Kinda makes you think..
Dave

N8DC, I ran drums front and rear on my 32 roadster. Upfront I used 53-56 F-100 brakes and 185x15 tires. In the back I used the stock early bronco rear and drums with 310x15 tires. I used a late 60's chev 1/2 ton dual master cylinder. Even with the big and little combo, it stopped very good.  Sam

flt-blk

Lincoln Versailles has the 9" rear disk.  I lugged one around for a buddy
at a swap meet once.

I know some Explorers and of course newer Mustangs have rear disk, not
sure if they will bolt onto a 9" though.

Did you look on the MPB or Currie site, they might have something.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Kidney

Howdy...I came upon this site almost by accident while looking for some body work tips. Great site BTW. While I'm not into custom cars. I'm more into Old 4wd's. I run a 1970 Ford Bronco and will be adding rear disks at some point on my 9. Here is a link that many of us Bronco owners use for rear disks on our 9". Just look under the brake link on the side.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/

tomslik

late model explorer or check with ford motorsprts, they SHOULD have a kit, if not or you have an unco-operative parts guy,check with Currie ent.
they had a kit(ford)...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list