trailer towing question

Started by 41woodie, January 23, 2005, 01:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

In the past I have experienced the thrill of having a single axle trailer sway violently side to side while towing.  Is the problem with the front to rear weight distribution?? or what?  I'm getting ready to buy a 6x10 cargo trailer and really don't want to relive this experience.

enjenjo

Generally, yes it's weight distribution. You want at least 60% of the weight ahead of the axle, more doesn't hurt unless you are overloading the tow vehicle.

I had a tandem axle enclosed trailer that was loaded the day it was finished, and stayed that way until the day I sold it. It towed beautifully loaded, but when I towed it empty, it was a real handful. not enough tongue weight.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

To add to what Frank said it is also where that weight is from the axle.  I was once moving a big load to AZ and had the above trailer completly full front to rear, top to bottom.  It would really get to swaying above 55.  

When I loaded the trailer the last thing I loaded was about 60 lbs. of rocks just inside the back door.  I took those out and put them in the back of the pickup and the trailer handled great for the rest of the trip at any speed.  So try and keep the heavy stuff in close to the axle if possible and like Frank said get the weight up front.

c ya, Sum