Snow plows and mom's mailbox

Started by purplepickup, January 20, 2005, 09:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Frank, I know in todays pittiful, I want something for nothing and will sue so I dont have to get off my lazy rear and work society that a mailbox like Crosley built could lead to a suit.......But I sure did get a nice warm and fuzzy feeling with a hige smile, after I read the part about the glass and plastic parts from the car hitting it!  :twisted:

Is that bad? :lol:

Scr8pn, in Oklahoma, thats called a weather vane! You would never get any mail at all as your box would be constantly the direction of the wind around the flat parts of Oklahoma.

enjenjo

QuoteIs that bad?

No, but as many times as my box has been hit, I have to consider it. I live in the middle of a mile, on an improved secondary road. we get about 2,500 cars a day through here, and the speed limit is 55. I have 280 ft frontage, and in the time I have lived here, the three utility poles in my yard have all been replaced from wrecks, one of them three times. I have lost one tree to a wreck, and it was nearly 100 ft from the road. I have lost 5 or 6 trees to snowmobiles, none of them big trees. My mailbox has been taken out 5 or 6 times, only once did the person who hit it take responsibility, he actually replaced the post and box within 24 hours, and put it in place. The number tag off the post has been through the roller three times to flatten it out, may have to replace it next time :lol:  I have been sued once and lost on an accident in front of the house, so I am aware of what can happen
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have been sued once and lost on an accident in front of the house, so I am aware of what can happen

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:   ????

Care to elaborate?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

When Fatcat was a young shaver, he rode his bike out the end of the driveway, and down the road. A young lady going by, drunk, but her father was a judge, swerved her car, and rolled it over in the road. She sued me and fatcat, he was a minor, and won, because there was no reflector on the back of the bike. Even though it wasn't dark when it happened. You had to be there.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Just in case anyone is following my quest for a solution to mom's broken mailbox, I ran across this site http://www.co.sherburne.mn.us/pubworks/trans/mailbox.htm .  It shows a design that is a combination of the one Bruce suggested and the one in the gif picture I attached to my first post.  Detail B shows the diagonal cut with the piece of pipe fixed into the ID.  According to the webpage, swing-away mailboxes are required for new home construction that will have mail delivery service in Sherbourne county in Minnesota.
George

DRD57

I lived on a state road in NW Illinois for a few years in the early 90's. I never had a problem with my mailbox because it was attached to the top of a phone pole that had been cut off at the proper height for a mail box post. There was also a tree with a 3' diameter trunk right next to it.

In the neighborhood where I grew up, there was a house whose driveway was right at the top of a T intersection. The garage at the end of the short driveway had been converted into a living room or den. They were frequently getting univited guests in that room, usually drunk and still in their cars. They placed 3   4' by 4' by 2.5' high wooden planters at the end of the driveway and that kept the cars out of the house but they still had to replace the planters every couple of months. They finally solved the problem by filling the planters with concrete.

junkjunky

I knew a guy who had his mailbox fastened to a junk Allison V12 block at the end of his driveway.  I doubt he had this problem.  :wink:
When you\'re going through hell... keep going! -Winston Churchill