Well, it's settled!

Started by protzler, January 19, 2005, 02:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

protzler

Hi guys!

Like the topic says, it's settled.  I'm going to hold off on the hot rod idea for now.  I was talking to my roommate, and he convinced me, Thats not to say that you guys didn't have a hand in it! And believe me, thinking about it more and more, I'm glad you guys hammered it in on me!  I should hone my skills more before I take on a project of this magnitude.  Thats not to say I'm not going to do it, infact, I have a better idea.  

To hone my skills, I will just take on a minor undertaking; a old car (61-65 Continental is in my mind), which is in decent condition, that I can toy with to get the hang of things (and save a little on my wallet as well).  I'll still 'rod it out, but I'm going to go at it with a different approach (I've been toying with the idea for a suicide-doored lincoln for about 2 years now).  When I say a different approach, I mean more of the mini-trucker style...well, thats not completely accurate...I don't really know how to put it on how I'll do it, but I will give the color away: Triple black.  That, and a lot of chrome, of course. For the rest, well, I'll see if I can draw it up.  :wink:

I think this will be better for me right now, as I will be able to see how it is put together, before I take it apart, that way I'll have a better understanding of what I have to do.  My roommate also has a good deal of experince in working on this era of car (He's restored a few muscle cars), so I will have a lot of help just in case.  In other words, instead of starting with parts, I will (for the most part), start with a car, which I will fix up, and mildly customize.  

Thanks agiain guys, and of course, I will keep coming here, asking questions, posting progress pictures (as soon as I start that is), etc.  

Thanks!

- Paul

jaybee

Do what' right for you, Paul, and it sounds like you have it figured out.  You'll be more likely to stay in it if you see some early success and this will be a good bet.  Best of all you're doing this one because it interests you and not because it's everyone's idea of what's hot right now.  It'll be a cool ride.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

purplepickup

Paul, I need to know how you do it.  You're less than half my age and I still haven't learned how to put common sense ahead of my impulses. :?  

Like everyone said, stay connected to the hobby by the internet, magazines, going to events and talking to rodders.  Most of us like to talk about our cars and answer questions.  Sooner or later a car will come along that fits you and your budget.  In the mean time you'll learn a lot working on a driveable project. Pick one you like tho or you might lose interest.  Stick around and have fun! :D
George

GPster

Some of this group are old enough to have used parts off these lincolns when they were new and "totals" in the junkyards. Back then a "street Rod" was only about 15 years old. There is a lot of technology that is new since that time and read along for a while and you'll hear about it. Don't make up your mind until you've found a donor and then maybe do only one thing at a time so you can enjoy your accomplishments. If you think about it the changes in technology in 40 years are only steps not stumbling blocks: R-134 rather than R-12, Un-leaded Gas-a-hol rather than Leaded Gas, Lap belts with a shoulder strap rather than Seat belts, Catalytic Converters rather than "straight pipes", Disc Brakes rather than Drums, Radial Tires rather than Bias Plies, Fuel Injection rather than Carberators and "Air Ride" rather than 1000# of "Army Surplus" hydralics in the trunk, and the list can get as big as you want to make it. Just let the education begin. It's easier doing the "want to know" than the "have to learn". Enjoy yourself. I've been around her long enough to know that my "biggest critic" here is me. GPster

efingstein

I don't post here very often (I'm a HAMB kinda guy), but, I'd rethink the Linc idea. They have very complicated electrical, vaccume and HVAC systems. We have one here and nobody will work on it because it is a real pile! I would suggest a '58-'60 Chevy. The can be bought very cheap. The electrical is relatively simple. The suspension is a no-brainer. The body has more style than anything else in that year range, lots of parts cars still around and many parts will interchange with other models and years. One of my first old cars was a '60 four door. I drove that car into the ground, rebuilt it, drove it into the ground again and then sold it for a profit! It gave me the knowledge to built my '53 chev next and to finish the 3rd, and most extensive, rebuild of my '51 Merc (which was, technically, my first car). Plus, there is a large aftermarket for these cars. Bolt-in airbags, suspension upgrades and gauge panels etc. I'm not trying to disuade you form getting a Linc, but just look around at other cars and ask the owners alot of questions. Most (non goldchainers) would be happy to answer them. Good luck on the build and most importantly, what ever you get, BUY A SHOP MANUAL!!!!
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

protzler

Hi Everyone!

I thought about doing a Chevy, but I don't really like the body style as much as the lincoln.  Like I said before, I have been thinking about this project for about two years!  The only one that really appeals to me, that I saw, was the Impala, and I can't think of a cool way to make that a cruiser...I'm definitly not going the lowrider route...I can't stand that look.    I do like Nomad wagons, but I kind find one in my price range that would make a good project.  Again, if anyone has a source, I'd love to hear it!!!:)

It doesn't really bother me that it'll be hard to work on, hell, I'm actually looking forward to it.  If it'll give me more experince, then I'm all for it!  Also, by HVAC controls, do you mean the heating and air conditioning?  I've never heard it put that way before :oops: .

To Purplepickup:  First and foremost, I love your truck.  That being said, I don't know how I do it....I guess I just gauge my abilities realistically....     :lol:

To GPster:  I am waiting on a donar before I completely set my mind to it, but right now, it's what I'm looking for.  I am keeping an open mind to what comes my way though, and if I find a car that I like that I can imagine myself doing in the way I want (and it's in my price range of course), I'll pick it up.  I do have a few conditions to the car I buy, such as it has to be in running condition, little bodywork needed, etc.  In other words, I'm looking for a fairly clean car that I won't have to replace, I don't know, floorboards in for example.  If it needs a paintjob, thats fine, no biggie, but if I have to start welding in patches, pounding out major damage, etc, then I'm going to steer clear.  

I'm also planning on asking a lot of questions here, and in other forums.  

I hate bodywork.  :lol:

Thanks everyone!

- Paul