Newbie here, and some general questions...

Started by protzler, January 17, 2005, 12:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

protzler

Hey everyone!!

I've been a car guy for awhile now, and have held a long facination with older cars (pre 1970).  

I'm looking to get into building a hotrod, but I'm not sure on where to start.  I've searched the forums on fiberglass bodies, and all of that, but I'm still not sure...I was at the Streetbeasts website, and it seemed to be a good way to go, but then I read on here, that glass bodies (or even a whole kit) isn't the best way to go...so I'm confused. haha.  

What appeals to me about going the glass route, is that 1.) I'm not rodding out an original car. 2.) You can order them with a lot of the stuff you want to do already done (e.g. Suicide doors, etc). 3.) I wouldn't have to worry about rust. 4.) I wouldn't have to worry about other bodywork, such as pounding out dents, etc.  
some of the downsides, however, are that 1.) Fiberglass doesn't dent...it cracks.  2.) some companies leave it to you to cut some of the windows out of the body, which seems like a scary endouver  to me. 3.) You have to do a sort of mix and match with parts (All sorts of Mustang II components).  

These, of course, are just a few of the pro's and cons, as I'm sure you're aware (more than me!!).  I've only just started to look into this, so I am still, without a doubt, a newbie in all aspects.

What I'm asking I guess, is which would be the way to go (in your own opinion, of course)?  For someone like me, who hasn't done a hotrod yet (I have done newer cars, 1990 and up)?  I have some mechanical ability, but not enough, I don't think, to be able to do it without a lot of help (I have a friend who has restored cars...all 70's vintage though).  I guess I could add that to one of the pro's of the glass kits, as they come with a manual on how to do the stuff, from start 'til finish.

Thanks, and I hope to have a long stay here!!

- Paul

OlBuzzard

Paul, welcome and you've come to the right place.  I'm not one to give you a lot of suggestions--others who post here have much more knowledge than I do.  There are a few companies other than Street Beasts who sell partially-built street rods with fiberglass bodies on complete chassis.  Look in magazines such as Street Rodder, Street Rod Builder, etc. for their ads.  Do some research on the internet to find out what their customers say about the companies.  I'm pleased to welcome you to the Roundtable.  Don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Chuck

tomslik

Quote from: "protzler"Hey everyone!!

I've been a car guy for awhile now, and have held a long facination with older cars (pre 1970).  

I'm looking to get into building a hotrod, but I'm not sure on where to start.  I've searched the forums on fiberglass bodies, and all of that, but I'm still not sure...I was at the Streetbeasts website, and it seemed to be a good way to go, but then I read on here, that glass bodies (or even a whole kit) isn't the best way to go...so I'm confused. haha.  

What appeals to me about going the glass route, is that 1.) I'm not rodding out an original car. 2.) You can order them with a lot of the stuff you want to do already done (e.g. Suicide doors, etc). 3.) I wouldn't have to worry about rust. 4.) I wouldn't have to worry about other bodywork, such as pounding out dents, etc.  
some of the downsides, however, are that 1.) Fiberglass doesn't dent...it cracks.  2.) some companies leave it to you to cut some of the windows out of the body, which seems like a scary endouver  to me. 3.) You have to do a sort of mix and match with parts (All sorts of Mustang II components).  

These, of course, are just a few of the pro's and cons, as I'm sure you're aware (more than me!!).  I've only just started to look into this, so I am still, without a doubt, a newbie in all aspects.

What I'm asking I guess, is which would be the way to go (in your own opinion, of course)?  For someone like me, who hasn't done a hotrod yet (I have done newer cars, 1990 and up)?  I have some mechanical ability, but not enough, I don't think, to be able to do it without a lot of help (I have a friend who has restored cars...all 70's vintage though).  I guess I could add that to one of the pro's of the glass kits, as they come with a manual on how to do the stuff, from start 'til finish.

- Paul

DO NOT MESS WITH A STREET BEAST!!!!!!
they may sorta resemble a certain car but you AIN'T gonna be happy with it
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Street beast has a history of poor management and financial problems.  They have been under investigation by the gov.

Street beast car parts only fit street beast and parts from other manufacturers do not fit street beast... not even close.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Welcome! Do yourself a huge favor and heed the above advice regarding Street Beast....I have not personally built one,or any glass car for that matter,but have looked at them on several occasions and agree totally with the previous posts....Far away is not far enough :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

Welcome to the RRT. Glad to have another member aboard.

A Street Beast is the Vinyl Sex doll of street rods, and about the same quality. And their service is even worse. I have a friend who bought an unfinished one for $3000, and has been waiting three years for the parts he needs to complete it. Everything is molded with the body except the doors and hood, so if you hit something and break a fender, you can't just unbolt it, and install another, it has to be repaired, or a new section glassed into the car. And as Tom mentioned only Street Beast parts will fit.

There are a bunch of other manufacturers who make outstanding glass bodies, and the parts will interchange with originals, and with each other. Downs, Gibbons, and Wescott, are three names that come to mind, but there are many others too. And these will fit on an original, or reproduction frame.

The Street Beast uses Mustang Front suspension components too, so you will still have to find them. But the frame is unique to Street Beast, so many of the upgrade parts won't fit it. But the others will use most of the upgrade parts available with little or no modification. Besides that, all the Mustang parts you might need are available new, at prices that make rebuilding used parts just as expensive.

And the last downside, Street Beasts don't have much resale value. Other glass cars will sell fairly easy for more than you have in them, if finished and done right, you can even make a profit, but Street Beasts seldom bring any thing near what they cost.

If you decide to do a Street beast, look for one that someone gave up on, and buy it cheap, but only if it's all there. Dealing with the manufacturer can be like playing with a rattle snake, a lot of people have been biten.

As far as figuring out how to do one, well, you have us, there is a lot of experience represented on this board, and there are books out there that are helpful too. There are some other sites on the net that cover the building of a car. If you have basic mechanical ability, we can steer you right.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

protzler

Hi everyone!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm glad to hear your opinions on streetbeasts! Is it like that with most companies that use their own frames?  Can any of you recommend a good company that makes kits?  I noticed enjenjo, that you mentioned Downs, Gibbons, and Wescott.  Do they have websites?  If so, what are they?  Do they supply a frame?  

I would go about using an original frame, but all of the work that may be involved in getting it back into top condition scares me, such as having to weld in new sections, etc etc etc.  

About the one-piece glass bodies, I'll admit, I am afraid of that...to think that someone give me a mild fenderbender, and say, crack one of the running boards (I'm looking into getting into a 34 coupe), I really wouldn't want to have to replace the whole body...

On a different note, what are some other hot rodding message boards?  I'd like to reach out to all areas of this, before I bite the bullet and get started.  :)

Thanks again everyone for the welcome, and all the tips so far!!

47wood

Welcome to the RRT.  There is a tremendous knowledge base here.  There are other sites but this is the most user-friendly ...especially for the novice.  Echo a lot of the comments already made.  While you're probably itching to get started on a project ...do yourself a big favor and do homework for about 6 months.  If there is a local Street Rod club, join it.  They will be a great help in telling you who and what to stay away from ...also who in your area does quality work for the things you can't do.  Check out cars all over the web and see what others are doing.  You can see a lot for sale on ebay, many for less than they cost to build ...but be careful there; you're never sure who you're bidding against, and there are a lot of 20 footers (they look good from 20 feet).  There are several sites dealing in old cars and parts.  www.fordbarn.com is a great one.  So, good luck and ask questions as the spirit leads you.  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

enjenjo

There are companies that make"reproduction" frames that are designed to fit original, or fiberglass bodies, and are already set up to use the mustang front, and later model rears. Or you can buy a reproduction bare frame, and do it yourself. They are also available in most stages in between. Progressive, and TCI are two I can think of off hand, but there are others.

another board you can check is  

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

but be warned, this is  traditional hot rod board, and the mention of a street beast will have you flamed to no end. Lurk there for a couple weeks, and then do an intro if you like. There is a lot of good info there, but it's more traditional, and they plan on staying that way. Beware LOL
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Paul, welcome to the RRT.  My advice to you is to get out to a few shows, the large ones with vendors and talk to the reps there and pick up their catalogs.  Check out all the rods for sale at these shows, talk to the owners, sit in their rods, and generally absorb the knowledge around you.

With your what sounds like your limited knowledge you might be better off finding an older restoration and redoing that FIRST while building a competent knowledge base and skills to start one from scratch.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Charlie Chops 1940

Although the "kit car" industry/hobby share many of the same build techniques as street/hot rodders keep in mind that our hobby and the street rod industry grew out of the need for replacement parts for pre-49 cars and trucks. What began as parts 35/40 years ago has grown to a vendor base that can supply parts, whole bodies and almost everything in-between to replace the original increasingly harder to find or unaffordable parts.

A local club in which to learn the ropes is good advice, subscribing to magazines such as Street Rodder, Rod & Custom, Anerican Rodder and Rodders Digest will also give one a pretty rounded view of the hobby. Another item that bears heavily on what you might want to do will be the extent of your mechanical and fabricating skills, the size and variety of tools in the cabinet and the inevitable depth of your wallet. Entry level street rodding is not cheap whether you buy or build. You might consider joining the National Street Rod Association which has a good monthly magazine dedicated to the hobby.

Read, talk to local rodders, observe and research will all serve you well. A lot of the guys and gals on these sort of bulletin boards have been at the car hobby forever or for just awhile. But I honestly don't think a one of them can tell you exactly what you ought to do or buy or build. You need to get grounded....we all did. The web will provide a world of info. Start bookmarking.

Welcome aboard.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

protzler

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys!

Haha, thanks also, for the advice enjenjo!! Haha, I probably would have asked about it there.  :lol:

While I haven't actually built a complete car, I have worked on different parts of cars (at different times, naturally), and believe me, I'm not one to over estimate my abilities!! I've only worked on newer cars though, not any pre 71.  The bodywork is what scares me most about the whole idea, that, and welding, neither of which I can do.  Thats the reason I would like to go with fiberglass, to get rid of -most- of that.  

I picked up a few magazines over the weekend to start looking over, and will certainly go to all the shows when it's the season...The only real show I know of though, is the one at Carlisle (thats half-way local to me) though...I'm sure there are some in Canton, and areas around there, but I don't know the dates, or anything like that.  I'm also not aware of any hot-rod specific clubs (well, pre 70's anyway).   Like I said, I've been in the scene for awhile (new cars that is), and haven't heard of any around me, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  I'm also afraid, if I approached them, that they may shun me because of my age, thinking that I'm just some kid who doesn't know anything...Ah well, I guess time will tell. haha

On a lighter note, does anyone else have any links for me to check out? Or, sources near the Pittsburgh area where I may find cars/car clubs?

Thanks!

- Paul

Dave

Quote from: "protzler"Hey everyone!!

- Paul

I like glass cars....
http://home.comcast.net/~n8dc-8/Hotrodindex.html
My page
Dave :wink:

Bruce Dorsi

Hi, Paul, welcome to the RRT!

I applaude your desire to get involved with an ambitious project! ....HOWEVER, before you jump in with both feet, and possibly over your head, PLEASE invest the time to do your homework!

The kit car show in Carlisle, PA, is May 20-22, this year.   ....I have gone several times in years past, and it is educational.  ....The majority of the cars/kits shown there are Cobras, or "sports-car" type bodies.  ....I do not recall seeing early-style kits/bodies there.

Also, on May 20-22, this year, there is a NEW event in Hershey, PA.  .....It is a GoodGuys event, and you can view many examples of streetrods built with fiberglass bodies.  .....The amount of vendors that will be present is unknown to me, at this time.

The event which I STRONGLY recommend that you attend, is the NSRA Nats-East, held in York, PA.
....This year's dates are June 3-5.
....At this event you will see approx 5000 pre-1949 vehicles, many of which are fiberglass bodies on new frames.  
....You can learn alot by looking at completed cars, for ideas, and to see just which years, styles, colors, etc, are of interest to you.

At this event, you will also see many cars with "For Sale" signs on them.  ....Some are priced for quick sale, while others are fishing for "suckers!"  ....Regardless, you can get a real education as to what you can buy for your $$.    

Most important for you, is the large amount of vendors who exhibit their bodies, chassis, and other components.  .....You can easily spend 2 days just viewing what the vendors have to offer.  

As others have warned, try to avoid Street Beasts.  ....There were also a few other "kits" sold that are similar to the current Street Beast "Ford."  ....They do not do well on the resale market, but most of the buyers are first-timers, that fall prey.

While it is very exciting to get started, it can quickly become very discouraging to find that you didn't get what you THOUGHT you bought!  .....Any time that you invest, up front, to educate yourself, is cheaper than learning from the "school-of-hard-knocks!"  

Put NSRA-York on your calendar!  ...You will DEFINITELY NOT regret going!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

EMSjunkie

Welcome Paul  :D   hang out here awhile, you will learn alot.
I am a Street Beast Owner/builder. speaking from experience, DON'T BUY ONE OF THEIR P.O.S's!! :evil:  :evil:

I got sucker in by their high pressure sales force, AM I SORRY!!!

their "Tech Support" reads out of the so-called build manual, which is actually just a guide. its a bigger P.O.S. than their kit.
sorry, don't mean to get angry, but it happens!

don't do as I did, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!
you will be glad you did. but if you do decide to build a SB,
let someone closer to you than me know, so someone can slap some sense into you :shock:

if I build another 'glass car, I'm gonna check out Redneck Street Rods
outta Atchison KS.

if I build another 'glass car.

hope you enjoy your time here, I sure do 8)
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****