rear end supension kits

Started by 4t7rodman, January 13, 2005, 07:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4t7rodman

hey there ya'll,  

I am doing research on rear end leaf spring suspension kit for my Chevy '47 streetrod p/u.  

I was wondering which company has the best kind of Rear leaf spring suspensions for the Chevy's '47-'54 p/u's.  

I have looked at RB'S, Zigs, Yogi's, Speedway.  they vary in the kits.  

Are there any other companies that offer a kit fo those years?  

Thank you for advices  :D

enjenjo

Most of the aftermarket suppliers use the same spring, which is a Triangel spring company copy of a 61 to 69 Dodge truck front spring. Rides a bit harsh to suit me.

I  Did one a couple years ago, using the springs and hangers from a 76 Chevy half ton pickup, but it only works good with a 3/4 ton frame. I mounted the spring under the axle.

I have a friend who has done a couple using Dodge Caravan springs and hangers.

If Posie's make one, I like their springs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

I used the rear springs off of the Camaro I stripped and have been very happy with them and the way they ride and handle.  Later I replaced the worn ones with new ones from J.C. Whitney and moved to the stiffer ones they had for the high performace Camao of that year (1973), but the back is still soft and rides good.

I used the front mounts off of the Camaro and by using spacers welded them to the frame and made new rear mounts.  I tried to duplicate the height of the front and rear mounts off of the stock Camaro and think that was a good idea as the factory had all of that figured out for handling and braking.

There are more pictures HERE.

c ya, Sum

Red LeClear

Quote from: "1FATGMC"    

I used the rear springs off of the Camaro I stripped and have been very happy with them and the way they ride and handle.  Later I replaced the worn ones with new ones from J.C. Whitney and moved to the stiffer ones they had for the high performace Camao of that year (1973), but the back is still soft and rides good.

I used the front mounts off of the Camaro and by using spacers welded them to the frame and made new rear mounts.  I tried to duplicate the height of the front and rear mounts off of the stock Camaro and think that was a good idea as the factory had all of that figured out for handling and braking.

There are more pictures HERE.

c ya, Sum

Check out what Chassis Engineering in West Branch Iowa has to offer, I know a lot of guys run there rear suspension kits, I have one of there frames, and it is first rate. Red

Crosley.In.AZ

I used 1978 Camaro parts.  Installed the spring  into the center of the frame at the front. I built pockets for  the spring to sit in

my 48 truck frame was a 3/4 ton , so the frame rails where not tapered in the rear
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)