GM alternators

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 09, 2005, 07:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Internal regulated alts..... big case....... little case.

Is it the large case with 6 vent holes on the back side?

S series?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"Internal regulated alts..... big case....... little case.

Is it the large case with 6 vent holes on the back side?

S series?

I guess I'm too dense to figure out the question for sure.  I do know you can change the 3-wire ones to 1-wire internal by just swaping some internal parts.

I have that information ( HERE  ).

I now carry those parts with me as when my one-wire went south once on a trip I found out the parts houses don't carry one-wires in stock.  So with a couple parts you can buy a new 3-wire and convert it to a 1-wire very easily.

This probably didn't answer the question you were asking, but it gives me a chance to say I like your new ride.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

I found out that the unit I have is a 12si.  same mounts as a 10si, larger case, suposed to be more durable, better low RPM voltage.

i found a one wire 12si unit on the net for 120 bux , rated at 105 amps.

I am not sure if the same parts on Sum's site will bolt into the case to provide a 1 wire operation.  

Seems like you can jump a wire from the batt terminal to 1 of the pair of connectors.  then run a wire from a charge  indicator light to the other terminal?
Tony

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"I found out that the unit I have is a 12si.  same mounts as a 10si, larger case, suposed to be more durable, better low RPM voltage.

i found a one wire 12si unit on the net for 120 bux , rated at 105 amps.

I am not sure if the same parts on Sum's site will bolt into the case to provide a 1 wire operation.  

Seems like you can jump a wire from the batt terminal to 1 of the pair of connectors.  then run a wire from a charge  indicator light to the other terminal?
Ive got a one wire that says it can also be wired up as the 3 wire configuration. Im gonna try it and heres the reason why. Starting cold is fine goes on high idle from the choke and the alt charges real good. Hot engine it sucks. Start it and unless you remember to rev the engine fairly high it doesnt charge at and idle. I forgot to rev er up a few times and was cruzin at low speed and the radio started acting funky and stuff cause i had less that 12 volts at the battery... Im still not sold on the one wire configuration. Do it right and you only need one other small wire to energize  the field of the alt so it charges. I already got one wire going to the starter battery terminal and an electric choke wire and a temp sender wire so what the heck whats one more wire..
Dave

enjenjo

QuoteSeems like you can jump a wire from the batt terminal to 1 of the pair of connectors. then run a wire from a charge indicator light to the other terminal?

Yes that will work tony. the two wire on the small terminals are typically, brown and red. Red goes to the big terminal, and brown goes to the charge light, then the accessory side of the ignition.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteSeems like you can jump a wire from the batt terminal to 1 of the pair of connectors. then run a wire from a charge indicator light to the other terminal?

Yes that will work tony. the two wire on the small terminals are typically, brown and red. Red goes to the big terminal, and brown goes to the charge light, then the accessory side of the ignition.

problem is I do not have a connector for the alt  to guide me
Tony

tomslik

#2 and the post can be jumped.
#1 needs a powered idiot light ran to it.

1+2 should be marked on the case
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "tomslik"#2 and the post can be jumped.
#1 needs a powered idiot light ran to it.

1+2 should be marked on the case

I have herd people run a resister accross the bulb, so if the bulb fails the alt will still charge. I had a bulb fail and no charging occurs. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

problem is I do not have a connector for the alt  to guide me

Tony the parts stores sell the plug for the alt. Get one dont just put spade connectors on it and wire it up. I had the connectors break of a 100 amp alt and I need a new one fast so i bought a 60 amp and use the 100 for a core :cry:  The plug gives the wires needed support.
Dave :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

I solved the problem, ordered a 1 wire alt from summit.

thanks
Tony

PeterR

QuoteI have herd people run a resister accross the bulb, so if the bulb fails the alt will still charge. I had a bulb fail and no charging occurs.

I always did that on marine motors.  Having the electric supply of a boat relying totally upon a indicator bulb just does not seem a good idea to me.

By soldering the resistor into the circuit you also eliminate potential problems caused by corrosion of the bulb contacts.

model a vette

The 12si was GM's first attempt at a high amp alt. It came on some high end Pontiacs and Buicks, I think with the first "heated" back glass. They were about 100 amps. They were fairly rare and the core charge was excessive when they were new (late 70's).
Ed