Who put the Mercruiser 224 in a Model A?

Started by Phil1934, January 09, 2005, 06:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil1934

I did one with a stick shift but have been getting questions from someone who wants to adapt an automatic and is looking for specifics like if starter cleared housing and did you run spacers between convertor and flex plate?  250 six flexplate? He'll be running a C4 with adapter.  I guess JW Superbell.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "Phil1934"I did one with a stick shift but have been getting questions from someone who wants to adapt an automatic and is looking for specifics like if starter cleared housing and did you run spacers between convertor and flex plate?  250 six flexplate? He'll be running a C4 with adapter.  I guess JW Superbell.

You may be thinking about Dale in Michigan.  He put a Chevy II based MerCruiser 153 in a Model A several years ago.  I sent him some hydraulic brakes.  He has not posted here in some time.  

There are several guys over on the HAMB who are using MerCruiser 153 and 181 four cylinders.  They both have Chevy blocks with the standard Chevy bolt pattern.  They were derived from Chevy 6 cylinder motors and I understand all the Chevy stuff; starter, flex plate, transmission, etc bolt up.

Mercruiser also built a motor that used a Ford FE head on their own block.  I have never seen one but I understand it has a Chevy transmission bolt pattern and mounts to the same MerCruiser stern drives.  My intuition tells me a Chevy automatic (350, 400, 200R-4, or 700R4) should bolt up.  But I don't have any specifics.  I think that I would try to make a Chevy transmission work befor I fiddled around adapting a C4 with a JW SuperBell.  One of those situations where you have to stick it together and see what you get.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks