Running Boards

Started by frankeric, January 08, 2005, 01:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankeric

Hi all. I am a new member, 5min, and I have a question. I have a 34 ford cabriolet with running boards that I want to cover with rubber. I cut out the rubber peices and I am ready to glue them down. Someone told me to use Gorilla Glue but I want to make sure before I do this. The running boards are fiberglass and painted.
frank in Colorado.....brrrr it's cold.........

58 Yeoman

I've never done what you're attempting, Frank, but I've used gorilla glue on wood.  It holds great, but it kind of foams up as it dries.  On wood, you can just cut it away from the joints; but, under rubber mats, it might cause bubbles or humps.  I would think something like brush/spray on contact cement would work better.  I'm sure that someone will chime in at any time and give you ideas.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tom36

The glue that comes with Bob Drake covers reminds me of the contact cement for formica countertops.  Put rubber on board, fold back 1/2, appply glue to both rubber and board, let tack up and smooth rubber onto board and repeat for the other half.  Tom..

enjenjo

Contact cement, like Tom says. Make sure you clean the back side of the rubber really good before glue application, you have to get all the parting agent off.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "frankeric"Hi all. I am a new member, 5min, and I have a question. I have a 34 ford cabriolet with running boards that I want to cover with rubber. I cut out the rubber peices and I am ready to glue them down. Someone told me to use Gorilla Glue but I want to make sure before I do this. The running boards are fiberglass and painted.
frank in Colorado.....brrrr it's cold.........
I have this job to do myself yet. No one has said anything yet but it might be a good idea to sand the paint a bit! :idea:
Welcome to RRT, Show us the 34!!

OlBuzzard

I've used Gorilla Glue in woodworking and would definitely recommend AGAINST using it.  It requires at least one surface being damp because it cures in the presence of humidity and then it foams like crazy.

Sean

Quote from: "rooster"No one has said anything yet but it might be a good idea to sand the paint a bit! :idea:

I have used contact cement to attach vinyl to metal. I scuffed the metal slightly with coarse scotch-brite then cleaned both pieces with denatured alchohol. Only problem with contact cement is that you have to get it right the first time. If you have to pull it back apart because you didn't have things lined up right, it will take paint with it. ( I know from experience... :wink: )

EMSjunkie

interesting post, gonna need to do this myself soon, where is a good, relatively inexpensive, place to find running board rubber.
(car condoms? :shock: )
thanks for the glue info.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

frankeric

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"interesting post, gonna need to do this myself soon, where is a good, relatively inexpensive, place to find running board rubber.
(car condoms? :shock: )
thanks for the glue info.

Vance
Home Depot has it in rolls. Get 60inches and cut to size.

enjenjo

I just bought a pair of molded running board covers for this Stude I am working on, $500 plus shipping. Nice looking pieces though.

EMSjunkie

Thanks for the info guys! :D  really appreciate it!
Welcome Frankeric, you'll like it here. TONS of good info and TONS more great folks!

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

frankeric

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Thanks for the info guys! :D  really appreciate it!
Welcome Frankeric, you'll like it here. TONS of good info and TONS more great folks!

Vance
How are you going to attach them?
frank

EMSjunkie

How are you going to attach them?
frank[/quote]

I dunno, had a PM from a member here, he gave me some really neat ideas. tell ya what, since you are prolly gonna get there before I do, tell me how you did it, and how it works, then I'll decide what I wanna do :-o

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Dirk35

Why would you just not use 3M body Molding Adheasive or Weather Strip adheasive from an auto body store?

Seem to me that it is specifically designed and tested for exactly that puropse, gluing rubber on painted surface. I know my brother used all 3M products from local auto body and paint store to glue his corvette back together.

Just a thought.

enjenjo

I pulled the running boards off this 39 Stude today, the rubber on them is petrified. Any ideas on getting the old rubber off? they are going to need a bit of straightening before the new covers go on.