Axle I.D.

Started by phat46, January 02, 2005, 01:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Well, I've used the type of tie-rod you're talking about. They used to be on the front ends of early CJ Jeeps. The work well on Ford set-ups because they seem to use the same taper as Ford tie-rod ends and they happen to have that same 11/16 thread. If you look at the two axel set-ups that I think are Model "A" you won't see any tie-rod ends. All the Model "A"s I've seen use that older ball and socket arrangement on the ends of their tie-rod and drag-link. I think that '32 and later used tie-rod ends with the taper. If I remember correctly the '32s to '34s still steered with a drag-link and the arm for the link was part of the left spindle forgeing and it came off the top kingpin bushing boss. I also seem to remember the steering arm off the spindles where the tie-rod swing came off the bottom bushing boss of the spindles so the tie-rod went under the wishbone rather than on top like the two set-ups in question do (as and added feature of the bolt-on steering arms, someone has changed them on George's axel because the tie-rod should be on the same side of the axel as the wishbone). I think that all the Ford kingpins were the same diameter which made spindle swapping easier and other than the odd cup on the top of the Model "A" kingpins they were only different in length and the location of the retainer notch. So the spindles do not necessarily identify the axel but one thing is true about "A" axels. As noted they do appear less stout than the later axels. Where the wishbone bolts to the axel the axel boss is only about 2" high but the later/heavier axels are about 2 1/4". GPster

river1

well if it ever stops rainin in AZ i'll go out and take a pic of my A axle that is still under the A sedan so we can compare.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat46

Quote from: "river1"well if it ever stops rainin in AZ i'll go out and take a pic of my A axle that is still under the A sedan so we can compare.

later jim

That'd be great Jim, I've been all over the 'net looking for a picture. It doesn't help that Google doesn't search for the letter "A".... :roll:

purplepickup

Quote from: "phat46"I've been all over the 'net looking for a picture. It doesn't help that Google doesn't search for the letter "A".... :roll:
Joe if you put "model a" in quotes it will search for whatever is in quotes.  I just did a search for "model a" front axle picture and found quite a bit of stuff but I'm at work and can't spend the time to look at them all.  I did see a Model A forum listed.

Here's a pic I found of a '30 Model A front suspension.  It might show something that would help.  You can't really see the steering arm but I think that big nut is where it bolts to the spindle.  Also there is a number on the beam you can sort of read.
George

river1

here is one i found

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Quote from: "river1"here is one i found

later jim
That is one with the later hydralic brakes on it. Not sure but those might have been backing plates off of a truck. The only time I remember seeing the adjustable lower shoe anchors was on a truck and the '40 car ones I have for the Jeepster have the solid (non-adjustable) lower shoe anchors. Part of the conversion to hydralic brakes on "A" spindles called for oversizing the bolt holes on the spindle backing plate flange and doing some rat-tail fileing on the new backing plates so that it all would line up together. It all worked well enough. It's a good thing termites don't eat metal. GPster

purplepickup

later jim
Well, that matches mine....except for the juice brake conversion.  

Someone reversed my steering arms to put the tie rod on top to get it out of the way but still keep the wheels steering in the same direction when they pushed it around.  The car was used to power an elevator in a barn.  Based on what I've seen I'll probably list mine as a '28-'31 front end on ebay.....starting price, 99 cents and see what happens.

Thanks guys :D
George

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"

later jim
Well, that matches mine....except for the juice brake conversion.  

Someone reversed my steering arms to put the tie rod on top to get it out of the way but still keep the wheels steering in the same direction when they pushed it around.  The car was used to power an elevator in a barn.  Based on what I've seen I'll probably list mine as a '28-'31 front end on ebay.....starting price, 99 cents and see what happens.

Thanks guys :D

Looks like one of mine too...now i gotta figure out what the other one is. There is a big difference in the wishbones too.  One goes almost to a point where the ball is  and the other, on the Model A axle has a radius to it where the ball is.

GPster

Quote from: "phat46" There is a big difference in the wishbones too.  One goes almost to a point where the ball is  and the other, on the Model A axle has a radius to it where the ball is.[/quoteI believe the wishbone on the Model "A"s fastened to the bottom of the bellhousing or transmission. The "B"s and other '32 fatsened to the "K" crossmember on the bottom. Then after that they started fastening to the plate on the bottom of the "X" member where the transmission mount was.The radius in the "A" wishbone is to allow clearance around the bellhousing. With longer frame and different pivot points thw wishbone could be longer and straight for a while. The newer ones got into that radius in the back of the wishbone for clearancebut they also had places to mount the schackles for the spring in front of the axel ('35 - '48). If the spring mounted over top of the axel on your other one then it is probably a '32. '33, or '34. If it is a combination of parts bolted together like George has and someone put an early wishbone on a differant axel, the '35s and '36s used the same axel with a differant wishbone for the front mounted spring. The measurement on the axel between the wishbone mounts on the '32 - '36 I think is the same as the Model "A". "37 and newer axel have a longer span to allow for longer springs. The '32 to '36 axels do have a little drop to them when compared to the Model "A" and as I stated before the height of the axel at the wishbone bosses is about 2 1/4". Now back to straight eight Pontiacs. GPster

Dave

later jim

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ok now i get it with a better pic. Someone took the steering arm off my spindle and must have cut and ground the mounting hole off the top of the spindle... That makes sense now ... Mine was cross steer when I got it cause it was an old old rod with a poncho rear and spindle mounts ! I took the steering box out that was in it and put a vega in. Man that was way long ago and ya know ya forget some things..
Dave