Axle I.D.

Started by phat46, January 02, 2005, 01:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I aquired this axle along with a bunch of other "junque". I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure it's Ford, but what year? It is spring over, with bolt on steering arms, and a little "cup" or socket on top of spindle. There is very little drop in the axle itself. I got a Model A axle too and this one is quite a bit different.

Dave

Quote from: "phat46"I aquired this axle along with a bunch of other "junque". I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure it's Ford, but what year? It is spring over, with bolt on steering arms, and a little "cup" or socket on top of spindle. There is very little drop in the axle itself. I got a Model A axle too and this one is quite a bit different.
I dont remember any ford having bolt on steering arms at least to about 48 but then again im not very smart...
Dave :lol:

GPster

That axel is off a model A, 1928 to 1931 GPster

GPster

Take a picture of the axel you think is from a Model A and maybe I know what it is. GPster

phat46

Quote from: "GPster"Take a picture of the axel you think is from a Model A and maybe I know what it is. GPster

The one in the foreground is the one that i thought was the A axle. It has one piece steering arms/spindles and it doesn't have the "cup' piece on the top of the spindle. It had the wire wheels on it when i got it.

phat46

I dont remember any ford having bolt on steering arms at least to about 48 but then again im not very smart...
Dave :lol:[/quote]

I thought that too, but those later Fords were spring ahead design I believe. This axle is pretty lightweight too doesn't look like it would be good under a fat fendered car

purplepickup

I'm going to jump in here for an ID too Joe since you've got the expert's attention. :)

I want to put this axle on ebay but I don't know what it is.  It looks a lot like yours except it looks like the steering arms have been reversed.  This is wired under the '30 Chevy doodlebug I'm parting out.  It was just under it to move it around.

George

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'm going to jump in here for an ID too Joe since you've got the expert's attention. :)

I want to put this axle on ebay but I don't know what it is.  It looks a lot like yours except it looks like the steering arms have been reversed.  This is wired under the '30 Chevy doodlebug I'm parting out.  It was just under it to move it around.

Looks like the same axle George, the arm on yours that looks like it was cut off is welded to the top of the axle on mine to keep it from steering. It was under a boat trailer at one time.

GPster

The axel that I identified as from an "A" and George's are the same. The part that was welded to your axel and the part that has been cut-off on George's are for the drag link because these early Fords steered with a drag link rather than cross-steer. The "A"s did have a rather flimsy axel and it was straight. The later axels started getting a small drop in them after the "A"s and they were still sprung over top of the axel until '35 when they started with the spring in the front. One more little hint on the "A"s if they still have the stock wheels on them. '28 and '29 had 21" wheels. '30 and '31 had 19" wheels , '32 had 18", '33 and '34 had 17" and '35 had 16". From '36 to '39 the wheels were the "wide five" bolt pattern then from '40 til '48 they went back to the 5 x 5 1/2" pattern. I can't see from the picture the front axel well enough to quess its' identity but the backing plates look like they might have had wheel cylinders on them for hydralic brakes. That would have put the spindles at '37 to '48 if the backing plates fit correctly ('37 to'39? were not hydralic brakes but the spindles were the same). It's great when I think I know something. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"The axel that I identified as from an "A" and George's are the same. The part that was welded to your axel and the part that has been cut-off on George's are for the drag link because these early Fords steered with a drag link rather than cross-steer. The "A"s did have a rather flimsy axel and it was straight. The later axels started getting a small drop in them after the "A"s and they were still sprung over top of the axel until '35 when they started with the spring in the front. One more little hint on the "A"s if they still have the stock wheels on them. '28 and '29 had 21" wheels. '30 and '31 had 19" wheels , '32 had 18", '33 and '34 had 17" and '35 had 16". From '36 to '39 the wheels were the "wide five" bolt pattern then from '40 til '48 they went back to the 5 x 5 1/2" pattern. I can't see from the picture the front axel well enough to quess its' identity but the backing plates look like they might have had wheel cylinders on them for hydralic brakes. That would have put the spindles at '37 to '48 if the backing plates fit correctly ('37 to'39? were not hydralic brakes but the spindles were the same). It's great when I think I know something. GPster
My 29 A had the origional axle and spindles and  the steering arms didnt bolt on. I sent the axle out and exchanged it for a mor drop and it was nice and rode nice. I put a vega box in it and made my own disk brake mounts for it including bearing spacer bushings for the rotors. I did have to modify the spindles and i remember turning them in a spinner on the surface grinder by the steering arms so i know they were cast to the spindles? Joe I think your mistaken on it being an a axle.

Dave

enjenjo

Dave, I have a set of A spindles here that look just like those. I don't know if they were all that way, but the ones I have, are set up with bolt on steering arms
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "N8DC". I put a vega box in it       Joe I think your mistaken on it being an a axle.

Dave
If you cross-steered it and found a place to put the extra tie rod end there were later model spindles on the axel. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "N8DC". I put a vega box in it       Joe I think your mistaken on it being an a axle.

Dave
If you cross-steered it and found a place to put the extra tie rod end there were later model spindles on the axel. GPster
They make a tie rod with a hole in it for cross steer and thats what I used.
Dave

GPster

well I'm not above being wrong. Thats just the best information I have. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"well I'm not above being wrong. Thats just the best information I have. GPster

iD RATHER YOU BE RIGHT AND I BE WRONG. OOps caps lock off.....
Im real interested now as to what kind of spindles my old 29 had but i had a friend with a 29 and he had the same spindles and swore they were stock? He was the one who told me how do make the disk brake mounts and spacers.. See im not as smart as I look although good looks dont make ya smart? I did have help even 25 some odd years ago...
Dave