Santa is shopping for a welder

Started by purplepickup, December 23, 2004, 11:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I've had a windfall by selling on ebay lately and I'm going to spend some of the money on a decent MIG welder.  I'm looking real close at either a Lincoln 175 or a Hobart 180 (both 230V).  Both cost $600.  I asked the guy that takes care of our test cells at work what he would recommend and he said it's funny that I would ask because he was looking at the same two welders and was going to buy one of them tonight.  He wondered if I had seen any recommendations on the RRT.   I know you guys have talked about specific welders in the past but I wasn't ready to buy then so it kind of went in one ear and out of the other.

Has anyone got one of these welders and/or have any opinions about them?  We're limiting ourselves to the $600 price range but want the best welder we can get.  My friend is going to buy this afternoon after work so he might not benefit from this post unless someone answers before 3:30pm but I'm going to shop around after Christmas so I'd appreciate your opinions.
George

348tripower

George,
 I won a Hobart 180 at the Nats North. It is a 110volt unit, but I love it. It puts the Century I used to have to shame. :lol:
Don

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've had a windfall by selling on ebay lately and I'm going to spend some of the money on a decent MIG welder.  I'm looking real close at either a Lincoln 175 or a Hobart 180 (both 230V).  Both cost $600.  I asked the guy that takes care of our test cells at work what he would recommend and he said it's funny that I would ask because he was looking at the same two welders and was going to buy one of them tonight.  He wondered if I had seen any recommendations on the RRT.   I know you guys have talked about specific welders in the past but I wasn't ready to buy then so it kind of went in one ear and out of the other.

Has anyone got one of these welders and/or have any opinions about them?  We're limiting ourselves to the $600 price range but want the best welder we can get.  My friend is going to buy this afternoon after work so he might not benefit from this post unless someone answers before 3:30pm but I'm going to shop around after Christmas so I'd appreciate your opinions.
Don Colliau

enjenjo

I have been looking too, and I like the Hobart, but only from past experience. I've owned both brands in the past, and Hobart always gave me good service.  I've had trouble with the switches on Lincoln welders. But that was under heavy use. Service support was good on both of them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

I know it isn't on your list, but you might consider a Miller also.  I got a 175 amp 220 in the $600 range.  I found one new on the internet and then asked the local (80 miles away) dealer if he could get close to that price and he did.

It is my second Miller and I love it and like the fact that I know they will be around.  I'm sure Lincoln will also, but I wonder a little about Hobart as I was under the impression Miller bought them a couple years ago and you know the strange things corporations can do for the dollar.  I have several friends that have millers and the local welding shop here in town has a number.  I've never run across anyone who doesn't like them.  I know they have a reputation of being more expensive, but I didn't find that to be true once I started pricing them agains the Lincoln and Hobart.

Any of the three will be good, but I hope you are going to get a 220 volt and a one that uses gas.

c ya and have a good Holidays and get to welding on that teardrop,

Sum

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've had a windfall by selling on ebay lately and I'm going to spend some of the money on a decent MIG welder.  I'm looking real close at either a Lincoln 175 or a Hobart 180 (both 230V).  Both cost $600.  I asked the guy that takes care of our test cells at work what he would recommend and he said it's funny that I would ask because he was looking at the same two welders and was going to buy one of them tonight.  He wondered if I had seen any recommendations on the RRT.   I know you guys have talked about specific welders in the past but I wasn't ready to buy then so it kind of went in one ear and out of the other.

George,

I have a Lincoln SP-170 T which I believe is an older version of the one you are considering.  Mine is approximately 6 years old and has not given me an ounce of problem.  I have welded up to 1/2" material with it using multiple passes and have been very satisfied with the machine and would buy another.  I bought mine between Christmas and New Years and got a substantial discount because they were trying to unload their inventory before the end of the year.  Good Luck.

Merry Christmas!

unklian

I've got a Lincoln SP-170T that needs a good home.
220 volts,regulator,etc.
Low hours,never a problem.
Comes with an extra long extension cord.

Shipping might be expensive,but I could get it to Windsor Ont for a relay.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Ian, if you and George do work out a deal I'll meet you in the parking lot of the Panel Jam on Jan 9th in Canton.  I can then pass it on to George at the BBQ trailer maintance day at Enjenjo's the following weekend.

If George isn't interested I know DirtyT is looking for a welder.  You might wanna get ahold of him.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

phat46

George have you considered the Millers? We use the 180's at work for all day production, at least a dozen of 'em, with NO maintenance and virtually no trouble.
 BTW I have a Century 110 V that i'll let you have reeaal cheap...LOL

purplepickup

Quote from: "unklian"I've got a Lincoln SP-170T that needs a good home.
Thanks for the offer Ian.  I've got some deciding to do yet.  If you have a chance to sell it go ahead and if I do decide to check yours out and it's gone that'll be my loss.

One more question for the group..  Is there a big advantage to variable voltage over tapped?  I've watched some welding forums and there are  people that like both.  Some say the tapped type have good "sweet spots" at each setting and you don't really need infinite settings.  To them it's a pain to always have to tweak it.  Then there's the ones that like the variable type because they like to tweak the settings.

I'm trying not to get sucked into the way of thinking that more is better....unless it actually is something that will make a big difference for my uses.   I have to draw the line somewhere and I've picked between $600 and $700 but I would pay a little extra if I have to.  

I see that the Lincoln Pro Mig 175 has infinite power settings and it's $700 but the local TSC store has the Hobart Handler 180 with a cart, gloves, auto darkening helmet, and tank for $620.   I've cosidered Millers but they're just a tad more than I want to spend.  I don't weld a lot so I'm not sure top of the line is necessary.  Decisions....decisions :?
George

river1

add another vote for miller :!:

i've had my little 110 welder for 13 years and have had NO problems. i think the 175 class hobart are made on the same assembly line as the millers. i think the main difference is one has infinite voltage control (the miller) and the hobart has 4 voltage settings. there are advantages to both and neither really limits what you weld with them.

another reason i personally would go miller or hobart is they are made in the USA. they also have a message board where if you need tips, advice or troubleshooting they are just a post away. i have even seen where the tech will give out his person phone number for you to call and get assistance.  http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

when i get time i'll be posting about my new toy i just got, a miller.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

Quote from: "river1"...another reason i personally would go miller or hobart is they are made in the USA. they also have a message board where if you need tips, advice or troubleshooting they are just a post away. i have even seen where the tech will give out his person phone number for you to call and get assistance.  http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/
That's one of the forums I've been following and I like the idea of having that resource.  It's probably one reason I'm leaning towards a Hobart.
George

sport.

Ya got my vote for Millers also! I sware by them I use one every day at work and at night when I come home(not lately tho),I NEVER had any kind of problems with ANY Miller welding Machine.

enjenjo

Ok, If we are going to consider miller, it has my vote too. The ones in the shop at work, were Millers, and they were totally abused every day, the oldest one they have is 22 years old, and still going strong. The new industrial ones have a digital voltage and wire speed display, and are self diagnosing, for trouble shooting. I have a buddy with a 110 Miller that is used all day every day in his muffler shop, and it never has problems. As I recall George there is a welding supplier that displays at the KZoo nats, from KZoo, that carries both Miller and Lincoln, and his prices are right.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SKR8PN

One of the very first jobs I had was in a frame and alignment shop. Only welders he would have were Millers. Great machines and never a lick of problems. Since then, I have had a couple of Lincolns and they have been just as good and trouble free. Never used a Hobart welder,but have had some of their accessories. If I were in the market? Toss a coin between the Lincoln and the Miller. :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

1FATGMC

My Miller is a couple years old and it has 4 voltage settings plus infinite wire feed.  Unless you are a pro like Sean you will never notice the difference than something with varible everything.  I weld mostly 20 gauge, 16 gauge, .120 and 3/16 and I just have my settings on the side and switch to the appropriate voltage setting and to the % wire feed I have used in the past and weld.  I'll change that a little depending on how the pieces are welded to each other.

I don't know how much more the Miller's are, but when I checked the same size Miller to Hobart or Lincoln was about $50-75 more.  Use this thing 10 years and that is only $5 to $7 more a year.  Personally I wouldn't let $100 one way or another sway you in your decision.  Just sell one more item on ebay  :) .

c ya, Sum