Need help identifing rear end on Rod project

Started by shifty, December 21, 2004, 09:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shifty

Could use some help trying to find out what rear end this is which was installled on a new project I just purchased which is a 26 chevy truck. It Looks like a ford 9" and similar to a 57 chevy.31 spline 5 on 5 bolt circle,10 bolts hold the pumpkin in,I need to get away from the 275 ratio and was hoping to do it without changing over the rear

http://us.f516.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter/121904tbucket_009.jpg

enjenjo

Sounds like a 59 to 64 Pontiac or Olds, all the information fits.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I believe if you go to either Mark Williams or Strange engineerings' websites they have pictures of the different center sections. As far as the 5 on 5 pattern, only large GM.
TEAM SMART

GPster

Quote from: "kb426"IAs far as the 5 on 5 pattern, only large GM.
I believe That the 9" with a 5 x 5 bolt pattern could be found on Mercury and maybe some Lincolns and Edsels in the '57 to '60 years. I personally found it easier identifing Ford product center sections by the front part of the housing behind the universal yoke that has bolts in it so that it can be removed. Given odds I'd bet on GM because of the gear ratio But that's getting into their "wide track" years and it surely would have been hard to get it under something. GPster

kb426

Right you are about the Merc. I had forgotten about that. No Mercs in my past.  I have lots of drag racing  in my past with Olds ends on 9" rears.
TEAM SMART